Gluing 2 pieces of ply together - will it stay in balance?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if 2 pieces of (6mm single sided) veneered ply can be successfully glued together and stay ‘balanced’?

…I am thinking on one hand: technically the resulting sheet has an even number of layers and so breaks the rule of always using an odd number of layers to maintain balance. But on the other hand, I think in practice the resulting sheet may still be balanced because the 2 inner faces have grain in same direction and so effectively make one thick central layer, net effect even layers and balanced...hummm

Any opinion / experiences?

What glue would you use?

(Application: sides of framed dresser and possibly door panels, both in Ash, approx 500x800mm, 6mm sheets)

[Oh, and yes, I could just buy doubled sided MDF sheet, but in this project mdf is absolutely forbidden!]

Thanks

Yetty":2a55ft70 said:
[Oh, and yes, I could just buy doubled sided MDF sheet, but in this project mdf is absolutely forbidden!]

Why?

In this situation veneered MDF is the perfect material. I'm sure Chippendale would have used it if it had been around. There is no more merit in using plywood - a true 'purist' would use solid wood.

Is it for yourself or for a client?

If it's for a client they need educating. If it's for yourself you should know better!

Dan

Thanks Don, why? : Because the potential client simply will not accept inclusion of any mdf.

The client hates mdf, with a vengeance. Sure I have discussed, shown samples, and was met with unequivocal responses. I now need to respect the wishes of the client, and so investigate options.

I’m not afraid of going down the solid insert panel route, but like you intimate I also realise that a manmade veneered panel solution could be a good choice. Hence the question:

Would gluing two pieces of ply together maintain balance? / any glue recommendations?

I think it will be fine. I see what you mean, buit think you are worrying unnecessarily.

In my experience ply of whatever type always has a curve, the large the panel the more obvious the curve. Cutting two pieces from the same sheet and gluing them back to back has got to be a good thing, and should end up with as flat a panel as could be achieved by any other means

Souldn't be a problem, just make sure you press them flat while the adhesive sets and finish both sides the same. Veneering both sides of a sheet of birch ply would keep a balance but it takes longer and needs some form of press, depends if they want to put their money where their mouth is :wink:

I have bonded 4mm veneered ply onto 18mm MDF a number of times and not had any issues and they were lacquer/paint finishes.

Jason

Thanks for all the replies, and so quick, all much appreciated.

Seems gluing ply together should be okay.

Does hand rolling a light coating of PVA onto both surfaces and clamping flat seem reasonable course of action?

Yetty":3hnit9ms said:
Does hand rolling a light coating of PVA onto both surfaces and clamping flat seem reasonable course of action?

Crikey, that sounds a bit posh! What's wrong with squirting a goodly amount on one side (you do keep your PVA in an old washing up liquid bottle, I trust), putting the two together and swivelling them around until the glue has spread itself?

Hopefully the good faces will be concave, then all you will need to do is clamp around the edges.

Ah, thanks Mister Henderson for the reality check or should I say 'balancing', sometimes I can err a little over the top.

Yetty":3308wi82 said:
Thanks Dan, why? : Because the potential client simply will not accept inclusion of any mdf.

Clients eh?

Who needs 'em?!

I know exactly what you mean. I did a painted kitchen a few years ago and the client was adamant that the painted tongue & groove backboard on a dresser was to be made from solid wood. I tried to tell them that MDF would be far better as gaps would appear between the boards as they shrank if I used solid wood.

They insisted.

The boards shrank.

They got gaps.

They also got a new MDF backboard and a bill!

I want to thank everyone who responded to my message.

The outcome has been that the client has agreed to the project and is happy to pay for a solid wood panel solution. The glued ply solution is safely tucked away for another day and everyone is happy.

Thanks again :)

watch what happens when mdf gets damp !

after all - its just fine chipboard :lol:

Back