Glueing wood to plastic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, do any of you have advice on the best way to do this? Thanks.

More information would be good.
What exactly is to be glued to the wood, as there are various plastics and wood types.
Regards Rodders

if anyone Knowledgeable chips in, not wanting to hijack the thread, but I am trying to find out how to glue Acetal to Acetal.. anyone know how?

woodfarmer":3op9eo28 said:
if anyone Knowledgeable chips in, not wanting to hijack the thread, but I am trying to find out how to glue Acetal to Acetal.. anyone know how?

Woodfarmer, Not knowing the answer, I googled it and Loctite have allegedly a glue.for it, have a butchers!
Regards Rodders

Interesting- I thought acetal was unglueable. Every day is a school day!

I am working on a cookie jar and want to glue mdf or plywood to the lid for a very secure fit. The lid has been stamped PP.

If the lid is made from Polypropylene (PP?) then you will struggle to find a decent glue for it, does it feel like Tupperware? sort of a slippery feel to it? when we used to do displays for trade fairs we used super strength carpet tape and usually was fine

Hi,

I have had some success with Starloc products. They supply various types of cyanoacrylate glues and epoxies with a plastic primer that they claim will allow bonding of virtually any kind of plastic. I managed to bond wood to a bath panel that had resisted all attempts using standard products. They supply cyanoacrylates with rubber additives that give flexible bonds suitable for bonding wood and plastics with different temp coefficients.
Use Google to search for Starloc adhesives.

I have no links to them other than a satisfied customer.

Regards

Mike

According to the blurb and instructions on a tube of my lovely Joiners Mate I see that this is alleged to be compatible with most materials, but don't be overgenerous as it can be messy.
Should be held firmly or clamped is best.
Regards Rodders

A quick update on this. I had some leftover jb original weld after getting this to glue a concrete garden ornament back together. I sanded the plastic cookie jar lid down and then applied this and clamped it to the mdf for 24 hours. Seems as solidly stuck as my garden ornament after some pretty heavy testing.

Back