Glue open time.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on Paul. =; I think we are getting a bit confused here mate. Well I am. :? (Remember, my brain is slow, and I get confused very easily). :-({|=

I am not sure what you mean by:- :oops:
i always thought you needed the wider bit on top, and not at the sides, to ensure that it did not pull out

The pictures shown represent one side panel. The first one shows the bottom of the panel with the "tails" to prevent the bottom shelf falling out.

The second picture shows the inside - top with the "pins" so the "tails" of the top shelf will prevent the sides from pulling out.

Does that make better sense? :wink: :)

yea but no but yea but.
dovetails slide into each other, you dont just drop them in in the way i think you are thinking.

i think :? :lol:

take it this way if you have to cramp the sides to the bottom to get the dovetails to close up, then you have to do the same for the top too.
which means that if the bottom is glued and dried, you will have to strain
it to put the top on, because you will need to spring the joint to put the top on.
paul :wink:

If the pins at the top of the side panel are pointing up, then the top should just push down. Yes :?:

So you clamp the bottom horizontally to pull the dovetails in, and you clamp the top vertically to pull the dovetails in. I've got that right haven't I :?:
Eek.gif

i am sure you are wrong mate, if the bottom needs pushing in from the sides then surely the top does too.
no real experts out there to answer :?

ok now it makes sense, but not good practice, since the plan is to keep the sides stable by holding them in by the top and bottom.

still looks decent, and hope it works properly for you.

all the best

I realise it isn't normal practice, but my thinking behind it all is, as the shelf will be hanging I would use "tails at the bottom to hold the shelf in place. The top shelf would have "tails", and the two shelves would have sliding dovetails to prevent the sides from bowing, or, pulling out. That was my logic.

Back