Glasshouse build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
Just about to start rebuilding my glasshouse, the old one collapsed a few weeks back. This time I am using Western Red Cedar, 70mm X 45mm, the glasshouse is 6mts X 3mts with a front gable.

The bottom half is essentially all windows, I have a quick question, how deep should I go with the mortice and tennon joints? Should I go all the way through or stop part way?

Just a little worried that going all the way through the Cil will encourage rot on the exposed end grain

If I understand your question correctly all the way through, it will allow you to wedge the tenons and especially on cills it will prevent water getting trapped which will cause rot.

Not sure how to explain this, the glasshouse is all mainly windows on the bottom, some open most don't

When making the windows, should I go all the way through with the tendons, I thought that going all the way through the fill would cause rot.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 126
I think what Chrispy was getting at was that if your tenons end within timber in a 'blind mortice', i.e. a hole that doesn't go all the way through, moisture will eventually make it's way into the tenon and the tenon may then rot. If you use a through mortice, the end grain will be exposed but this would work in your favour and allow the end grain to dry out in between 'moistening events'.

monkeybiter":vvs77xhj said:
I think what Chrispy was getting at was that if your tenons end within timber in a 'blind mortice', i.e. a hole that doesn't go all the way through, moisture will eventually make it's way into the tenon and the tenon may then rot. If you use a through mortice, the end grain will be exposed but this would work in your favour and allow the end grain to dry out in between 'moistening events'.

Thanks Mike, that explains it

Back