glass for grinding chisels and stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking at gathering a small (cheap) kit for grinding chisels, plane, I have an oilstone that needs flattening on the rough side, and also thinking about trying out finer grits of wet and dry, so I'm looking around the house at stuff I could use instead of 'float' glass, I did some googling, which says that most glass these days is float glass, so I'm wondering if I can go down to a local shop and grab something like a glass worktop protector and be happy with the results?

Reggie":99iu3xfw said:
Hi all, I'm looking at gathering a small (cheap) kit for grinding chisels, plane, I have an oilstone that needs flattening on the rough side, and also thinking about trying out finer grits of wet and dry, so I'm looking around the house at stuff I could use instead of 'float' glass, I did some googling, which says that most glass these days is float glass, so I'm wondering if I can go down to a local shop and grab something like a glass worktop protector and be happy with the results?

Cheap floor tiles from B&Q are a good option.

BugBear

You should be able to get good off-cuts from a local glazier. Rub up the edges to lose the sharp edges. I managed to get a small piece after being told they only sell 8x4 sheets! That was the boss. A member of his team gave me the off-cut. Manuafacturing is such that glass is no longer the only option....other options, tiles, cutting boards, marble tops, etc. Best wishes.

Bargain corner at Ikea. There's usually a glass offee table top or shelf for two quid. Plenty of good stuff to be had there...and you can haggle now!

I picked up some soft closing fully opening kitchen drawer runners for two quid recently. :D

My local glazier was not much help and expensive, it’s crazy but we can get Canadian Veritas Glass shipped form the USA cheaper than I can from two miles down the road. We use and sell the 6mm float Veritas which is very good but any 6mm or thicker float should do fine, do not use toughened glass as it is not flat.

Peter

bugbear":3ku1jdow said:

BugBear
I thought so too, but the tile I got isn't flat (not far off though)

Put a rule across it and there's a dip - boo

ha, I don't have a wife, so that's no good, tried getting the mirror off the bathroom wall but that was a fruitless effort. I've got a couple of glass worktop protectors that I could use or there's a smaller one for putting saucepans onto. As long as I don't need to go and buy something special :)

dm65":3ptrq5mt said:
bugbear":3ptrq5mt said:

BugBear
I thought so too, but the tile I got isn't flat (not far off though)

Put a rule across it and there's a dip - boo

Yeah - might want to take a straightedge when shopping. Tiles don't carry the same
precision warranty as surface plates, but some are flat (*), even though it's not guaranteed.

BugBear

(*) flat enough, which is always what you're after, for some meaning of "enough"

I got a nice piece of 10mm toughened glass from a local glazier. It was a small shelf that a client had ordered wrong. Got it nice and cheap.

Back