Glass cutters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really disagree with him either chippyjoe but most of us haven't the experience of cutting large quantities of glass and like most things it's knowing how, confidence and practice. Personally although I've cut a lot I'm still not especially comfortable doing it, in fact I hate it! :(

The OP wouldn't need to ask if he already knew how to do it and it can seem a daunting task.

As an aside, the worst experience I ever had wasn't cutting the stuff. I was building a bespoke stone sunroom with several floor to ceiling d/g units. When they were delivered we stacked them very carefully but when about to fit the first unit, the apprentice took it on himself to fetch it for me - with the help of the ageing busybody of a customer who promptly rested a bottom corner on the gravel drive, you can guess the outcome, 100s of bits of shattered safety glass everywhere ( was before we started using laminated ).
He was not amused when I told him it would cost him £150 to replace it and could he PLEASE stay off the job in future. :lol:

Maybe there is a secret to it, which I'm not aware of. I do clean it very well with glass cleaner from an aerosol - perhaps that's it?
Have to say I like doing it too - something satisfying about that quiet hiss you get with a gentle but perfect cut. If it sounds a bit scratchy it won't be quite as perfect a break.
I shared a space with a stained glass man once and my most nerve racking experience was helping him carry in full sheets of plain glass. Like two mime artists carrying something invisible! Can't remember the size but they must have been 8 x 4 ft ish or longer.

This is off topic really, but anyway, in a past life I used to visit Bangkok regularly (where the traffic makes London look like it's always 3 am Sunday)!

Anyway scooters and those little Honda motor bikes are used there a lot, and one day in the taxi on the way into town from the airport, once off the highway and down into the city streets I saw a young lad riding side saddle on one of those little bike things.

He was clutching a HUGE sheet of glass - must have been for a shop front or something. He had a bit of paper round the bottom of the glass which was in turn resting on one foot (flip flops of course!) and another bit of paper around the top edge which he could JUST about reach by stretching up off the pillion (Thais are generally quite slightly built). His oppo on the front of the bike was gaily weaving through and around the car, bus, truck traffic without an apparent care in the world.

I wish I'd had my camera with me (but I haven't made this up, 'onest).

I saw a glazier cutting glass the other day, after scoring he poured meth's along the score then set light to it befor snapping not sure why but he was quick and proficient.

flying haggis":1zzuwber said:
why havent we deviated into a glass cutter wheel sharpening thread.................................
:twisted: NO, NO, NO (hammer)

Heat (meths, FIRE) is an old trick for popping the score, but it isn't really needed, quite useful for really skinny strips but the above breaking edge is of equal merit.

Lazurus":1r4af0su said:
I saw a glazier cutting glass the other day, after scoring he poured meth's along the score then set light to it befor snapping not sure why but he was quick and proficient.
Seen this done on laminated to melt the centre.
By the way although wheels are great I like diamond cutters best as I seem to be able to use less pressure
Cheers Andy

Back