Gift idea for your woman / women in your life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
Having been inspired by some of the beautiful tissue boxes people have made I decided that I'd like to make a unique gift for my wife and my daughter for Christmas.

I started out with a piece of mahogany,

DSC00086.jpg

which I cut to size. The edges were planed square on a shooting board,

DSC00087.jpg

and the top planed flat with my low angle smoother.

DSC00088.jpg

I decided to keep the design simple, so just added a chamfer around the edge.

DSC00089.jpg

I then marked out the positions for the holes,

DSC00091.jpg

and drilled them out on my drill press.

DSC00092.jpg

Once the holes were drilled the top was scraped using a card scraper ready for finishing.

DSC00093.jpg

As sadly I don't yet have a lathe, I made the handle using a hole saw and I then cut through the piece of wood on the bandsaw to release the 'handle'.

DSC00094.jpg

The centre hole was drilled out to accept a length of dowel and this was mounted in the drill press for finishing with sandpaper. The handle and dowel were then glued to the base.

DSC00095.jpg

I finished it with a couple of coats of wax.

DSC00097.jpg

The handle is optional but as we entertain quite a lot, it makes it easier to pass around to guests. The number of holes are also up to you, for this one 8 seemed to work quite well but if you had a bigger base you could increase the number.

Cheers,

Steve

Paul Chapman":1g5lnehq said:
OK, Steve, I give up. What is it :?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

me too,completely lost, no idea what is is :shock:

I'm thinking it has something to do with food because of the reference to entertaining and passing around to guests. Is this complete or will there be little serving pots installed with locating pins on their bottoms to go in the holes?

Brendan

You're all wrong, are you guys really trying to tell me you have never seen a rotating umbrella stand for imps before?

I know what it is, isnt it clear??!

Its for making a Ferrero Rocher piramid on and passing around to guests, the row of holes keeps the base row of ferrero's from rolling off! 8)

I'm wrong, arent I! :cry:

Maybe for putting chop sticks in?

Sorry chaps - forgot to post the last picture :wink: Some good guesses but no one got the right one.

DSC00099.jpg

"The handle is optional but as we entertain quite a lot, it makes it easier to pass around to guests."

mmmmmm... what sort of parties do you have then?

Brendan

Latest posts

Back