Gidon on U tube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David C

In Memorium
Reaction score
Nice film clip on U tube, Gidon demonstrating ruler trick during plane blade sharpening and kindly mentioning my name.

I feel the need to point out that he is moving the blade along the stone while I move it across the stone.

Short stroke, no more than 1/4 to 3/8", with the tip of the blade going just off the edge of the polishing stone.

My method avoids the possibility of wearing a hollow in the width of the waterstone, in fact it wears it slightly convex.

Sorry to be pedantic

David Charlesworth

David C":2jy4h2wa said:
My method avoids the possibility of wearing a hollow in the width of the waterstone, in fact it wears it slightly convex.

Since a hollow would result in a cambered blade wouldn't that be a preferable error? In addition, a hollow should be easier to reliably flatten out (as you often note, convex things are painful).

Or am I not understanding something here?

Paul Kierstead":2kmxpcyh said:
Since a hollow would result in a cambered blade wouldn't that be a preferable error?

It would also lead to chisels and other irons developing a belly when you meant to flatten the back would it not - rendering the chisel (for eg) next to useless until you have expended quite some effort in flattening it again.

Cheers Mike

mr":1p1zqh2w said:
Paul Kierstead":1p1zqh2w said:
Since a hollow would result in a cambered blade wouldn't that be a preferable error?

It would also lead to chisels and other irons developing a belly when you meant to flatten the back would it not - rendering the chisel (for eg) next to useless until you have expended quite some effort in flattening it again.

True enough. Ya just can't win for losing. I guess keeping the stone flat remains the key....

If only Pyramid resonators worked eh :)

Cheers Mike

I recommend Ruler trick for all edge tools except chisels, where it would be disastrous and thoroughly undesirable.

best wishes,
David

Hi David
Sorry to mis-describe your technique. It works ok for me doing it that way firstly because my fine stone is quite narrow and there's little room to do the back and forth method, plus I find it quicker. But completely understand your point about stone wear.
Also I don't tend to use waterstones anymore - and with the microfinishing film on diamond stone technique I use (see other vid) wearing the stone is not an issue ;).
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon,

No worries, it is just that I have a hard time trying to explain it at the best of times, when there is so much confusion with real back bevels, and resistance to change from the mirror polished flat back tradition....

I thought your video was great. I always say that what works for the individual is fine, I simply demonstrate things that work for me!

Think I might have to try this micro finishing stuff which I saw in you other video and keep reading good things about.

best wishes,
David

Back