Getting started in stropping.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering what was so odd about the heading 'Getting started in stropping' .
Then it occurred to me that if this was a food forum and you saw the heading 'Getting started in potato peeling' you'd think that was odd too.
So that's it really, in reality stropping is about as technical as peeling a potato, and deserves about as much attention.

But I expect there's a forum of food peeling enthusiasts out there - probably using Japanese hand forged peelers and wearing head bands. :lol: :lol:

Jacob":9ddet2d9 said:
I was wondering what was so odd about the heading 'Getting started in stropping' .
Then it occurred to me that if this was a food forum and you saw the heading 'Getting started in potato peeling' you'd think that was odd too.
So that's it really, in reality stropping is about as technical as peeling a potato, and deserves about as much attention.

But I expect there's a forum of food peeling enthusiasts out there - probably using Japanese hand forged peelers and wearing head bands. :lol: :lol:

Pmsl There probably is, but i'm not even going to go there. lol :D

Jacob":2vl7ab0l said:

I suppose that's why you posted about it so often in the thread about it back in August.

Evidence available (as always)

BugBear

bugbear":kfb56hkk said:
Jacob":kfb56hkk said:

I suppose that's why you posted about it so often in the thread about it back in August.

BugBear
I know, I know! It's just so easy to get drawn in to mad conversations with obsessive lunatics!*
How's the history of design reading going BB? Getting up to speed I hope.

PS *It's not always their fault - there's a lot of obsessive misinformation in circulation.

Jacob":33onl4yr said:
bugbear":33onl4yr said:
Jacob":33onl4yr said:

BugBear
I know, I know! It's just so easy to get drawn in to mad conversations with obsessive lunatics!
How's the history of design reading going BB? Getting up to speed I hope.

I will, as ever, choose my own hobbies and interests. God forbid all my interests should be the same as yours.

BugBear

A question related to stropping that to my knowledge has not been answered, yet, is:

Will two polished surfaces (back and bevel) generally result in a sharper edge?

Based on the broad variety of recommended polishing compounds "that work" and their very different characteristics (chemistry, hardness, grain size, grain shape etc.) I have strong doubts. Polishing is not sharpening.

Apart from that stropping on leather might rather dull your edge since it sinks into the soft leather and is being abraded rather ramdomly.

@ J_SAMa: for some chromium oxide send me a PM.

Regards, Philipp

Stropping helps align and deburr a whetted edge while also refining surface finish by removing residual scratches from the final sharpening stone/plate. Hence the combined use of loaded and unloaded strops.

Whilst polishing the surfaces adjacent to an edge may seem wasted effort, the positive effect this has on edge quality can provide a marked improvement with little practise and minimal investment. Done well, stropping can and does enhance edge quality and this is most evident when sharpening open (Cut throat) razors.

Does stropping sharpen an edge? Yes, if done well and the end results tend to speak for themselves when comparing edge quality with and without stropping.

Philipp":297s5zt7 said:
Apart from that stropping on leather might rather dull your edge since it sinks into the soft leather and is being abraded rather ramdomly.

If you find that using leather dulls the edge, use a piece of wood instead.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Philipp":2ip5emc9 said:
Will two polished surfaces (back and bevel) generally result in a sharper edge?

IMO - NO - The edge has to be sharp in the first place

I have strong doubts. Polishing is not sharpening.

I agree, as I said but polishing definately makes a difference IMO. Certainly with carving chisels (and surely the same principle with the exception of scrapers for turning, is the same for all edged tools).

A polished carving chisel slices much more easily through the timber and leaves a polished surface behind it to boot. No brainer as far as I'm concerned though I confess I don't bother to polish my "site" chisels.

Bob

Although I don't usually give much truck to the argument, "If they did it in the past, it must be right", for many reasons, I think this is a case where it is actually true. Stropping has been around for a very long time and for good reason. If it made no discernible improvement in your cutting edge, I doubt very much the practice would have survived. Although only a qualitative appraisal, my own experience using paper edge cutting to test sharpness is that stropping makes a significant improvement.

Latest posts

Back