Getting glasses to fit over mask - which mask works ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMa

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read the posts on glasses misting up with masks (really useful) but .... which masks allow you to use prescription glasses without them falling off ?

I bought a Trend Stealth mask which work really well, but the mask fits high and wide on the bridge of the nose and my prescription glasses don't fit.

Can anyone recommend a mask which is a good fit with prescription glasses ? Or is there a better alternative ?

Many thanks in advance.

Can’t help you on a mask, I haven’t found one that works with glasses yet. What about a respirator? I have the Axi one and it works great with glasses and ear pods. Not cheap and I have some niggles with it, but the concept is good.

I struggle too - it's worse with varifocals as position on your nose is everything, and the straps over the glasses arms don't help ! I have an old full face respirator which I use for sustained work, but for quick and dusty jobs I have a JSB (?) rubber mask with a little tab stuck in it, and I just hang it round my neck and hold the tab in my mouth while I'm doing the work . Using a mask like this requires good ventilation to get rid of airbourne dust, and I do have a fine dust extractor in the roofspace.

I have been wondering about this as well. I only need 2.5 reading glasses from the pound shop but putting them over the rubber of the mask and under goggles is not very satisfactory. I remember when I was in college, a million years ago, and there weren't cheap glasses, workshop staff had prescription goggles. I haven't come across anything like those, since I might have made use of them.

I have been wondering about this as well. I only need 2.5 reading glasses from the pound shop but putting them over the rubber of the mask and under goggles is not very satisfactory. I remember when I was in college, a million years ago, and there weren't cheap glasses, workshop staff had prescription goggles. I haven't come across anything like those, since I might have made use of them.

We can get safety glasses here with a magnifier built in. You must be able to get them too.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...otection/glasses/48027-bifocal-safety-glasses
I wear multi focal contacts under a full face mask. I don't like the extra weight on my head, messed up neck, it is light years better than anything else I have played with.

Pete

We can get safety glasses here with a magnifier built in. You must be able to get them too.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...otection/glasses/48027-bifocal-safety-glasses
I wear multi focal contacts under a full face mask. I don't like the extra weight on my head, messed up neck, it is light years better than anything else I have played with.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Think those safety glasses would have the same problem ... they still fit closely over the bridge of the nose.

Sounds like a really light full-face helmet might be a solution for prescription glasses.

I wonder if there are any close fitting masks (non-rubber) which would allow a close fit over the nose bridge ? Clearly, disposables would work but would be expensive in the long run.

This sounds like the problem (along with beards) for which products like Trend airshield were invented to solve.

Not cheap tho'

The problem is that everyones face is shaped differently. What works for one person won't come close for another. I have a biggish nose that is higher on my face when compared to someone with a small nose that is lower on the face. Small nose guy won't understand why his mask won't come close to working for me. Leaves everyone trying different combinations to see what will work for them. You just have to keep looking and trying different combinations until you get something that works.

Pete

I find the trend stealth the best for day to day use.
Make sure you have the right size, maybe you need the smaller one?
I guess it depends on your glasses but mine have the bendy little wires by the nose which can be adjusted a bit.
I have another one I use for painting which has a smaller face bit( a Moldex one that comes in 4 sizes ) but it has cartridges for filtration which makes it heavy to wear for a long time.

Ollie

I wear the 3M 6200, or the silicon version, with varifocals without any problems. Mask first, then glasses, then ear defenders.

I use a GVS half mask from screwfix with prescription glasses, never even thought about compatibility, just works. Comfortable mask too.

Never found a good solution myself. A face shield is about the best but still not ideal and very cumbersome.

My solution has been to rig up dust extraction as much as possible so I can avoid wearing a mask. Any jobs that don't fit on my machines with DE I do outside.

What is the GVS model / part number please?
They do several versions depending on what filter you would like so here’s a picture of the style which will then allow the selection of the model with the filters you need.

63684A53-2851-4851-A125-622ED91470B2.jpeg

I use a 3m mask, its okay but with bifocals it can be a bit of a hazard walking around a messy workshop.
For longer periods I wear a JSP powered respirator with a flip up face shield, I can wear this for hours at a time no problem. Belt mounted filter and power unit, the hose to the head unit is quickly twisted off so it can be removed. I often walk around with just the belt on and the head part can be easily put back on to carry on with dusty work.
3m mask.jpg

Your lungs and ears are well protected but with the gap to face under your glasses, the lack of side shields and no doubt non safety frames and lenses your eyes are vulnerable. If you try to put goggles over the glasses they won't seal properly either and a face shield will make for a lot of junk for the neck to hold up, my issue with a gimped neck. Powered respirators are in the same boat. For me a powerful dust collection system will be the answer.

Pete

I wear the same GVS Elipse mask as above with glasses, Than I use a Honeywell Bionic face shield as well for impact protection. It works well for me when turning.

Back