Getting back in the saddle!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, woodworking-wise anyway.

I've not made anything of any significance in the last 2 years. If you are not up to speed I won't bore you with the details, but I lost my workshop.

However, I do have access to a modestly equipped Community Workshop and yesterday I bought four boards. I asked for English Oak, pippy. It's not very pippy and I'm pretty darned sure it's not English, but it is Euro rather than American, so that is something. I got the yardhand to put it on my roof rack, it sat there all night and I got two strapping great young lads from the college next door to unload it for me. Result.

Today I've started to cut it up and have got pieces suitable for a very nice coffee table top and lower shelf. I would have cut out all the parts, but I got seconded to go to a Meeting. It's almost like having a job.

Anyway, I've planed up some very nice oak, am happy with the result and I feel very pleased with myself about it.

It feels good.
S

well thats nice Steve. I dont know your story but I'm sensing some kind of split perhaps...and its inevitable results??

Whatever the cause, whats important is you're messing with trees again...and thats a really really good thing :)

Excellent news Steve, if planing got you that excited lords knows what gluing and cramping will do.

Is their a WIP in this "out of retirement" project?

If you are feeling rusty I can recommend a good series of DVD's. :lol:

Steve

I am pleased for you. Hopefully you can have a workshop of your own again soon.

Your description above sounds like you have divorced which may be the case but I didn't think it was. I thought it was a house move?

Not wishing to pry just glad you are back in a workshop.

Mick

Thanks chaps
Rusty! You are not kidding! Know any beginners' classes I can attend?
But I've not forgotten everything. When I had sorted the boards I drew a chalk triangle across them. ""Why did you do that?", asked my mate Mark. So I explained that it made it easy to reassemble them when gluing up. "That's effing brilliant, that is, you are an effing genius. I've effing learned something today". Although we are quite different in character I can't help but like Mark.

And yes, I did take my camera. And totally forgot to take any pics. Told you I was rusty.

Yes Mick, the usual explanation. But, as I say, getting back in the saddle.
Hi-ho Silver, away!
S
:)

Very glad to read it Steve! :)

I also look forward to seeing photos and please tell us more about this community workshop?

Great news Steve. Your tone certainly shouts "the glass is half full".

If you and your roof rack are ever in my neck of the woods then look me up and I'll give you some Oak you can be certain is English (I dragged it off the golf course and planked it myself). Of course, you may need to leave it under your bed for a while before you can make anything from it :)

Jon

Top Marks Steve, Is a new workshop for yourself on the horizon plus did you sort out the issue with a certain woodworking mag

Kind Regards

Chris

My own place not quite yet. I did put in an offer on a house and was turned down with a laugh. There will be others. I still think that houses are stupidly priced.
As for A Certain Mag, I believe things are resolved and expect a cheque any day now. And we didn't end up in court.
S

Hi, Steve

Nice one mate, I must take you out for that drink soon.

Pete

Latest posts

Back