Getting a good finish with poly varnish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterSk

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've built a little table up in American white oak, and have got a tin of poly/alkyd gloss varnish that I'm trying to apply a decent finish with. I've applied four coats so far, the first coat was 50% thinned with white spirit, after than I've been applying it neat, as it's reasonably thin already.

The problem I'm getting is bubbles in the wet coat as it dries, particularly in the last coat. I've knocked a lot of it back with 240grit paper by hand, but I think I must be doing something wrong to start with.

As I'm intending on giving it away as a gift this weekend, I'd like to know if there's anything I can do differently to make this process smoother.

I guess you are missing out the tipping off stage of applying the varnish. After you've got a good coat on all over the surface you remove as much varnish as you can from the brush by squeezing it out of the bristles on the side of the can. Next you hold the brush almost vertical and drag the near dry bristle tips very lightly across the top surface of the wet film. The key is very lightly, barely touching the wet film surface. This helps burst the bubbles and release the air leading to better levelling out as the film cures.

I sometimes go a stage further than just squeezing out the excess varnish from the bristles by also cleaning the brush and leaving the bristles wet with white spirit prior to tipping off.

It also helps if you are using a good quality brush designed for varnish rather than one from a pack of ten for a tenner from places like B&Q. Slainte.

Back