German infill maker joins the ranks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bug, I've since found some info re hardnesses in my Little Black Book for Engineers that may settle your nerves a bit.
Useing the Brinell Hardness scale we have cast iron as in "mature" Bailey planes at 180hb, and Malleable cast iron as in those better planes from Canada at about 100 to 110 hb-the material is noticably softer but the trade off is there is less brittleness.
Tool steel like O1 comes in at 201hb,Stainless is around 160 and mild steel is around 130hb.
Then we have Manganese Bronze-100hb.
And then we have brass.... my supplier catalogue here lists 19 types, but the pesky Black Book only mentions Yellow Brass-at 60hb. So at an estimate I would think some of the harder brasses could be close to 100hb or so.
I feel that under normal use yellow brass for plane sides performs very well-it is not as if we are useing that sort of plane on building sites for making concrete shuttering etc. :)

OMG Philip... dang! You never wrote in your book-of-words that my PM plane was not suited to making concrete shuttering on the building site! Now what will I do? Is it also not suited to shearing sheep?

-ger-

Ayeyiyi, Gerard, the use of one of those planes for anything other than the taking of the curliest, fluffiest gossamer thin two inch wide shavings with tapered edges from difficult woods is strictly VERBOTEN! :shock:

On the other hand, Gerard, one of those planes is quite versatile, so if you open up the mouth and get her rolling you can whack off some fat tightly rolled shavings..... :D

Back