Genuinely confused about these 2 routers, advice needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virana

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I've decided that I will be purchasing a Triton router but am a bit confused about the branding of Triton gear. I have been over a dozen forum posts on multiple forums but can't seem to find a solid answer.

Basically I have bought the Triton RTA300 and RSA300 router table and want the biggest baddest router in there for my projects. As far as I understand it the TRA001 is the biggest router, but a TRB001 and TRC001 are on the market, from what I can make out the TRA is for Australia, TRB for somewhere else and TRC for who knows where.

On a few posts I have seen people mention an old TRA001 which doesnt include height winder above the table and above the table bit change.

What I am after is the model that offers above the table bit change, as well as the handle that I can drill the hole for and adjust the router above top. I currently have no routers bit's but my assumption is that this router offers 1/2" bits and comes with a 1/2" collet and 1/4" adaptor which is fine.

I really dont want something that comes with the wrong collets, no handle and cannot be adjusted above the table as I'll need to send it back at extra cost.

So to sum up, which router model do I need to buy and what's the difference between the 'old' TRA001 and new TRA001?

Thanks all!

I'm not familiar with Triton being a Dewalt and Trend man myself. But I would recommend you just call their sales team or tek line and I'm pretty sure they'll be able to answer over the phone. Failing Triton themselves, their biggest UK dealer.

I have the TRB001 router in my table and love it. The only thing it doesn't have is above the table adjustment. However, I built my own table and under-the-table adjustment is very simple and quick.

In the old naming convention (when Triton were Australian), TRA was for Australia, TRB was for Britain and TRC was for ??Canada??. The differences were plugs and voltage. It now seems that TRA suits everyone.

From the Triton Tools website, it seems that the JOF001 meets most of your needs though it is their smallest one at 1400 Watts but it does have above the table adjustment and 1/2" & 1/4" collets if those are more important.

Hope this helps but I do agree that you're best to find your local supplier from Triton Tools website and talk to them.

David

I bought the Triton TRA001 a few weeks ago (from Toolstation). It is the latest version. It does come with the height adjustment handle. The router bits can easily be changed above the table. It came with a 1/2" collet and a 12mm collet, but not a 1/4" collet or a 1/4" reducer. I bought a 1/4" collet separately at a cost of £21 (including £6 postage).

I've only used it a handful of times so far but it appears to be an excellent tool. I also considered the smaller 1400w model, but I don't regret buying the larger model. You can't have too much power in reserve and although I've no immediate plans to use very large router bits, who knows what the future holds and it's comforting to know that I have a tool that's more than capable of handling them, if the need arises.

foir any advice & a good pace to buy your Triton tools from, you cant get better info & service than from Dennis Leverett, i had loads of questions about what model comes with what, collet size, winding tools etc & the router model numbers... he was not the cheapest i found, BUT he could answer every question i had straight off the bat, reassured me about what model to buy & made sure i got exactly what i needed... the router arrived within 48 hours too... its the best router i have ever used, and i would go back to him for anything else i need... service worth paying for.

http://www.tritontools.uk.com

I have the TRA001 in a table - fantastic, above the table bit change, above table height adjustment (when I get round to the hole :)) and more than enough power

I also have a Dewalt DW625 which I prefer for use out of the table - tried it, and bought the Triton

Thanks all,

I will make a couple of calls and get the info, it seems that the new TRA001 (From toolstation) provides the handle for above the table adjustment as well as the other bits and bobs I need, only thing I need to buy will be a 1/4" collet.

Back