Gel varnish, Gel Poly, wipe-on poly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Yes, I regularly see all of these mentioned in American mags and decided to try some out. BUT, I can't find any in England for a reasonable price and that i have seen mentioned in the mags etc.

I am looking for a tough finish for a American Cherry coffee table that is nearly completed and thought this might fit the bill. I want a satin finish and no 'film' on the wood, but it needs to be hard wearing and water resistant. I like wipe on finishes and would use Patina, but it is marked by water in my experience

I did find one that looked interesting, only to see that it is classed as a 'hazardous substance' and as such levied with a £10 charge on top of postage.

So, £8 for 1/2L of finish, £6.50 for postage, £10 for pipper all else! I didn't order it :roll:

So, any advice, tails of woe, help, links to UK suppliers gratefully received

Please feel free to tell me that in England this is the same as..............

Ta

Try some satin Osmo Poly X from these people ...great stuff and you can buy a little 'taster' pot from them as well. Last time I bought some, free del. as well. You won't be disapointed as Osmo is a flooring product and pretty hardwearing. I've put on 4 thin brush coats on the side panels of my Elm Cabinet and there's no 'build' at all, I'm very impressed with it - Rob

Another vote for Osmo Polyx.

I laid 70m2 of oak flooring in our new house last year and gave it 3 thin coats of this oil. Hard waring is an understatement, as my 2 year old regularly rides around on his plastic yellow car at breakneck speed on the floor, and it hasn't complained one bit - the floor that is, the car complains fairly regularly. It's waterproof as well, I wont go into detail, but trust me, it is

Osmo Polyx goes a long way too, as I only used two 2.5l tins to do the whole job.

I'm going to use it soon on a dining table that should have been ready for Christmas lunch - don't ask!

John Lloyd who writes for Furniture and Cabinetmaking also uses it, so it must have something going for it.

Try a sample pot to see if it's to your taste - I doubt that yoy will be dissappointed.

Regards
Aled

I've used Polyx for floors and like it precisely because it can be patched. Never thought to use it on furniture though. I may give it a try.

Andrew

They sell sell polyx in the floor shops, Fitchetts in Nottingham do it at a very reasonable price.
Owen

andrewm":3a2mms6c said:
I've used Polyx for floors and like it precisely because it can be patched. Never thought to use it on furniture though. I may give it a try.

Andrew

It's brill you won't be disapointed.

woodbloke":wnxes8e2 said:
Try some satin Osmo Poly X from these people ...great stuff and you can buy a little 'taster' pot from them as well. Last time I bought some, free del. as well. You won't be disapointed as Osmo is a flooring product and pretty hardwearing. I've put on 4 thin brush coats on the side panels of my Elm Cabinet and there's no 'build' at all, I'm very impressed with it - Rob

Sounds like this is just the stuff I am after :)

Thanks Rob and all the others who recommended this!

Tony":3hji9jn6 said:
Sadly these are the idiots who charge a £10 (once only :roll: ) charge on top of normal carriage as it is a 'hazardous substance'.

Don't know how they normally deliver,but believe Royal Mail won't deliver hazardous goods (with the exception of certain class 6.2 substances) so has to go by parcel carrier instead.
Still seems steep,though.

Andrew

Tony":3lh5wh8c said:
Sounds like this is just the stuff I am after :)

Thanks Rob and all the others who recommended this!

It is great stuff, i don't think you'll be disappointed. Dead easy to apply as well. I think I recall giving Rob a helping hand along the route to PolyX disciple-hood.

Oryxdesign":2y2b45d3 said:
andrewm":2y2b45d3 said:

Andrew

It's brill you won't be disapointed.

Which PolyX are you using? 3032 or 5125?

I've made an Ash coffee table for my niece and have been agonising over the finish which she wants trouble free. This sounds ideal. I really want to enhance and not alter the character of the wood.

Any yellowing on the clear?

Yes, it darkens and yellows. It is a modified oil finish, so nothing like as neutral as a lacquer finish or a water-bourne acrylic.

Jake":3qcclzpl said:
Yes, it darkens and yellows. It is a modified oil finish, so nothing like as neutral as a lacquer finish or a water-bourne acrylic.

Many thanks - back to water based clear floor varnish again

A little update

I placed an order with the company Rob Woodbloke recommended around 11.30pm yesterday (on web).

Today I received an email at 8.30am confirming the order was dispatched free of charge.

Now THAT is great service!!

Another vote for Osmo Polyx-oil here. I have used 3032 clear satin in the past. Its a combination oil/wax product and as said before you can patch and blend in a repair which is great. Its easy to apply too. The only problem I had with it was that I failed to get a uniform sheen which was visible when viewed side on to the light. I remedied this by applying 2 coats of black bison clear wax. The results were very good and the wax smells better than the Polyx. I would recommend this finish and I personally would use it again. That said I have also bought General Finishes products in the past. Both the wipe on ploy and the danish oils are good products although if I were buying again I would go for the oil with the slightly darker tint as opposed to the natural one.

Latest posts

Back