Gel stain or water based stain on pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a pine board that I wish to stain; I always find staining pine tricky with traditional water or oil based stain creates blotches ect. So reading up on the subject I find its better to seal the timber with a 50/50 mix of sanding sealer and meths, or using gel stain. Anyhow my question relly is this, is gel stain available in the UK and is it available with a satin finish, or do I still need to finish it with another product ? If so, what's recommended ?
Thanks

Never stain anything. Let it be itself - it has an inherent truth. Stain is a cheap poseur. Reality is healthier.

I'm serious. But if you want to take the cheap (expensive) route, carry on.

Stain is an antique precursor of virtual reality. Which isn't reality at all. What world do you want to live in? One composed entirely of falsehoods?

It often seems that the human race is too clever for its own good. I'd better rest my case.

I'm not against you as a person, but those are my genuine thoughts.

Wood is marvellous, but for God's sake don't pollute or misrepresent it. Let it speak for itself. :)(-:

Never stain anything. Let it be itself - it has an inherent truth. Stain is a cheap poseur. Reality is healthier.

Stain is an antique precursor of virtual reality. Which isn't reality at all. What world do you want to live in? One composed entirely of falsehoods?

It often seems that the human race is too clever for its own good. I'd better rest my case.

Wood is marvellous, but for God's sake don't pollute or misrepresent it. Let it speak for itself. :)(-:
Well tbh thats really is taking the biscuit; How long have you been winding people up !

Hi all, I have a pine board that I wish to stain; I always find staining pine tricky with traditional water or oil based stain creates blotches ect. So reading up on the subject I find its better to seal the timber with a 50/50 mix of sanding sealer and meths, or using gel stain. Anyhow my question relly is this, is gel stain available in the UK and is it available with a satin finish, or do I still need to finish it with another product ? If so, what's recommended ?
Thanks
There are plenty of uk suppliers online, I’ve only used oil based stains so no experience of gels, lots of environmentally friendly alternatives too . They seem quite expensive but I guess that’s the cost of alternatives. You could also try wax instead of stains .

Back