Woood Staining and Finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
I am hellping a neighbour stain and finish the top rail of his pirana pine staircase. I have suggested he stains the wood in it's bare state first and then seals it with a 50/50 water pva solution to seal the grain before applying a water-based semi-gloss or gloss finish. I have already advised him to do samples first to get the colour depth he(sorry,his wife) desires and experiment with finishes. What d'you think? Cheers John on the Wirral

Depending on the type PVA can be a good glue for wood or doing craft with the kids or as surface preparation before plastering or tiling. It's not a paint though. If you want a paint, varnish or stain use one of them. If you do have glue on the surface clean it off before finishing.

Hi,Thanks for that. I intend using the Unibond or pva as a sealer only which would be sanded off prior to applying the finish. I know there are propietry wood sealers out there but I have some Unibond and pva in my shop. Cheers John on the Wirral

Back