Gatepost advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. I need to fix a new gatepost - (3"x3" ok?) to a very uneven, quite crumbly sandstone wall but how?? I think I would struggle scribing and cutting it as I haven't got a suitable bandsaw. Packing behind would do I suppose but it will look ugly. Any sense in making shuttering to concrete a vertical subbase to attach the post to? I'll probably end up using expanding foam!! :cry:

Thanks

Mark

I would use a power plane to scribe it in and then pack any uneven places with cement . if you do a really bad job of it you can always point it in after but i guess that would crack and fall off over time .

Why not fix the gatepost to the wall with whatever fixings will work. Then apply shuttering front and back covered with polythene to stop the concrete sticking to it then pour concrete down the gap? Make a sloppy mix and it should slide down like a pint of Pedigree.

Would concrete/mortar differ in colour too much from the sandstone????

Why not attach the post with suitable fixings, then clad the front and back of the post in 1/2 inch stock, which could easily be scribed to the wall.

Cheers.

Karl

Thanks folks - as usual, my ignorance and your knowledge never fails to dazzle me!! :D :D :D

Marks

I'd be tempted to make a series of stand off pieces - one for every fixing point, cut to length to ensure the post is vertical (i.e. packers but actually making them a feature). I'd then leave the gaps in-between.

matt":1vnczhak said:
I'd be tempted to make a series of stand off pieces - one for every fixing point, cut to length to ensure the post is vertical (i.e. packers but actually making them a feature). I'd then leave the gaps in-between.

Exactly what I would do, to make a ladder effect which would level the gaps.

matt":e9yjoe2w said:

That would be my choice too; I'd be concerned at trying to fill the gaps with anything that will hold moisture and encourage rot.

Back