gate on a slope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for some hinges which will allow me to open some gates (not yet made) uphill. It doesn't have to fold completely flat against the wall (impossible without a foot gap on the bottom) but a few extra inches is always good (so I'm told).

I've looked at parliament type hinges but I'd rather something like a hook and band type hinge.

The 'gates' are 7 feet high solid timber and will be mounted on 6x3 posts (on the face of the post which is the 3")

Any suggestions?

could you adapt the cut and band, with a piece of pipe cut at an angle? if you got it right, it would be level both at the bottom when closed, or the top when open.

You haven't said what kind of slope is involved?, its possibly a dog legged bottom hinge you require, if so thats the domain of 'the smithy' as there are too many variables for this item to be 'off the shelf', maybe RichardT could advise ?
The hook and band would have to be cosmetic fakes in this application.
HTH

I forgot to add. The main purpose of the hinge is to make sure the gates (the posts are mounted in the centre of a 9inch block wall)
doesn't foul against the corner of the wall. The extra opening range would be a bonus.

studders":2gzwh3rp said:
Boss

Could you make that URL a little longer? :)

Sarcastic git, course I could, there again I could have shortened it to show my normal dunderheededness... :D

The gates will be made of of one gate at 1/3 (20 inches) and the larger gate (2/3rds) at 60 inches and will be made of two sheets of 3/4 ply
plus 1/2 to make up faux battens etc to make it look like a timber gate.

So bearing in mind the weight can anyone point me in the direction of some parliment hinges that would suite a black gate and posts. I'd like heavy
duty galv hinges that will last.

Latest posts

Back