Gate construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy002

Reaction score
I'm looking to build 2 driveway gates. The total opening is 2.8 m, so each gate will be around 6 mm short of 1.4 m. Ideally the gates will be made up of a frame using 4 x 2 treated timber (stiles, top rail, middle rail and bottom, then cladded with 1 x 4 upright boards to match fence). They will be about 1.8 tall, and will need to be strong. I know the poper way to go about this is to use mortise and tennon joinery, but I dont have a mortiser and also dont have the time to chop out 12 mortise's by hand. I have been thinking about half lapping the joins, but not sure if this would be strong enough. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi,

What do you mean you don't have time to chop 12 mortices?
Do you have time to cut 24 half laps?

Pete

Ive figured it will take a while to chop out mortises 95m deep and get them exactly right, using a drill and chisels. I reckon I could run 24 half laps off quicker on my chop saw.

roxy002":18raltnq said:
Ive figured it will take a while to chop out mortises 95m deep and get them exactly right, using a drill and chisels. I reckon I could run 24 half laps off quicker on my chop saw.

you need a morticer - or steve Ms router morticing jig

incidentally i hope thats a typo - if your morticers are really 95 metres deep thats gopnna be one big gate you're building :D

big soft moose":2knvrog7 said:
roxy002":2knvrog7 said:

you need a morticer - or steve Ms router morticing jig

incidentally i hope thats a typo - if your morticers are really 95 metres deep thats gopnna be one big gate you're building :D

:lol: 95mm

Roxy,

Do you have a 2hp router? If so, get a 1/2" upcut spiral bit and a good router morticing jig.

And with a good vice it's a breeze.

John :)

roxy002":2gyyj180 said:
So, do you think there is really no alternitive way of joining gate?

If you have a router & a long 1/2" bit, then you could form mortises in both members & make a loose tenon.

Doug B":2iy8mus6 said:
roxy002":2iy8mus6 said:
So, do you think there is really no alternitive way of joining gate?

If you have a router & a long 1/2" bit, then you could form mortises in both members & make a loose tenon.

Mortices will mean you will only have to do this job once. Well, once every fifteen to twenty years, depending on the timber and the care you give the gates.

Either M&T or slip tenons. And a proper waterproof glue.

John

You should have them chopped out in about 2 hours, just crack on with it. Drill them out first with a big forstner bit then just chop them square.

M&T construction is deffo the best way to make a gate as the joints own mechanical strenth and pegged tenons means it wont be relying on glue which frequently fails on fully exposed joinery.

Just been advised by someone that they made a gate 17 years ago using half laps and m8 coach bolts and braces. Apparently, they are just as good now, as they was when made with no problems!

Hi, roxy002

You could chop on or two a night while the wife makes tea and have them ready for the weekend, in pine it wouldn't take long and its just a gate so you are not striving for perfection. And pin your jounts with oak dowels made by hammering peices of oak through a metal plate with a hole in. Don't forget a diagonal brace the stop the gates sagging, bottom hinge side up to to top.

Pete

roxy002":3srakdn3 said:
Think I will just take the M&T route. :lol:

Best idea.

It`s you who`s got to look at these gates every day, you don`t want to be looking at gash held together by bolts.

mailee":aa0fkpdl said:
OK, do it in half laps then! :roll:

Gonna use M&T construction. It will have to be done on site, but will make most of what I have. I notice youre from Grimsby, I also have the pleasure of living here too! :D

Doug B":30btodfv said:
roxy002":30btodfv said:
Think I will just take the M&T route. :lol:

Best idea.

It`s you who`s got to look at these gates every day, you don`t want to be looking at gash held together by bolts.

Yes your right, it wont look very professional. I was just suprised to hear that this particular gate has lasted 17 years using that method!

where are you? I'm sure one of us can lend you a pigsticker and then chop them by hand :) It is actually harder to cut the tenon by hand than the mortice IMHO!

If you are near Nottingham I have a morticer you can use...

Back