gas torch advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
The Cookson one will be fine enough - I can't say for the other. It'll be more than hot enough, obviously. Either may be overkill if you are using soft solder - as Tb says, an iron might be easier. Depends what size your piece is - if small, you'll melt one joint doing the one next to it.

This brass blow pipe is the same as my grandfather used for soldering jewelry it produces a tiny jet. I also saw one being used quite recently at a jewelry workshop on TV. :?:

Ok I give up :cry: it was just a suggestion, but they are perfect for soft solder and the workshop programme I mentioned was for amateurs

:) Sorry. I know gold/silver smiths all over the world use them, but I've not known them used in a class. A City & Guilds class I did were given the option of using them, but everyone chose small torches as they found blowpipes uncontrolable.
Either way, you need a gas cylinder with them, which makes them prohibitively expensive.

phil.p":3ncvfg72 said:
Either way, you need a gas cylinder with them, which makes them prohibitively expensive

Hi

A blowpipe can be used with a paraffin lamp to perform soft soldering operations.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back