Storing Gas Torch Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Slightly off topic but sort of w/w related.

I use a gas torch to char some of the things I make for decorative effect (mainly turnings).

The torch runs on MAPP gas and gives a very nice and hot flame.

HH%20Torch.jpg

mapp.jpg

Anyway - to the question.

As I only do this occasionally, am I better off storing the torch with the head fitted to the canister or off. I am concerned that over time gas may leak so it will be empty when I need it but I can't decide whether storing with the head off (therefore removing any problem with the valve not being perfect) is off set by keep making / breaking the seal on the gas cartridge.

thoughts?

thanks - Simon

Simon,

I have three of these in various guises, as I use them for brazing in my job.

I only take the gun off the bottles if they won't fit into things with them on. I have one with the fixed torch, like yours, that has been fitted to the same bottle for about 5 years and it hasn't leaked!

You will lose gas everytime you screw the top on and off anyway!

HTH

Andy

as a plumber i use these bottles for soldering, keep the torch on the bottle and leave the valve turned off. i used to take the torch off but after finding my van stinking of gas and finding the bottle empty a few times with differnt disposable bottles i now never remove unless changing and never loose any gas.
i have the superfire 2 torch from rothenberger which doesn`t require a match to light the gas well worth investing in one even for lighting the bbq :wink:

+1

I distrust the disposable MAPP gas canister valves. I wish I'd bought a Rothenberger torch though. I got the cheaper version and it failed this morning!. The spare system is the older Primus/Sievert propane one using refillable canisters and an original cyclone burner. It's good, and you can take the torch off the bottle for storage, except that the liquid trap has never really worked (flame-thrower if inverted).

So MAPP/Rothenberger for the future...

E.

PS: I use a smear of Vaseline on the torch occasionally to help protect the rubber seals to the bottle. The gas is fairly low pressure, but I've heard that propane (and mapp) cause the rubber to rot over time. don't know if it's true though.

+1 here too on the Rothenberger. Having run into problems with a cheap type I borrowed one from a friend to solder some joints while putting the heating into my workshop before Christmas and was duly impressed. The ability to start on the button is so convenient, as is the control the nicely pointed flame gives...

Back