Gas cooker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarkin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A question for the plumbers out there - especially the corgi registered ones!

I've just moved into a new place, and the kitchen has a free standing cooker unit, but the gas connection from the wall to the hob is a solid copper pipe! Now, clearly this is not a sensible idea (move the unit and potentially get a gas leak), so I will be having it replaced with a flexi pipe ASAP. However, my question is; is this against gas fitting regulations?

hi tarkin, its not corgi but `gas safe` these days :) .

in answer to you`re question, no it isn`t against the regs as a free standing cooker can either be connected with an approved flexible connector; fixing to a bayonet valve, or with rigid pipework; which must have a gas approved valve and a union to allow it to be disconnected.

however if your cooker is of a cast iron range type (i.e. aga) then it must only be connected using rigid pipework.

this information was found in my gas handbook (the vipergas book) which was last updated 3 years ago so regs may be differnt now, but probs not.

however it wouldn`t hurt to have a flexible connector fitted for peace of mind, details of this can be found @ bs 669 part 1 1989 and bs3212-1992 for lpg.

hope this helps, mark.

Well the hoses are still available so I suppose that means summat.

Roy.

Thank you for the info - much appreciated! It's a large free standing wooden kitchen unit with a gas hob in it, so I guess it's within regulations then. I'm slightly surprised at that actually.

sparkymarky":3cmt6she said:
hi tarkin, its not corgi but `gas safe` these days :) .

in answer to you`re question, no it isn`t against the regs as a free standing cooker can either be connected with an approved flexible connector; fixing to a bayonet valve, or with rigid pipework; which must have a gas approved valve and a union to allow it to be disconnected.

however if your cooker is of a cast iron range type (i.e. aga) then it must only be connected using rigid pipework.

this information was found in my gas handbook (the vipergas book) which was last updated 3 years ago so regs may be differnt now, but probs not.

however it wouldn`t hurt to have a flexible connector fitted for peace of mind, details of this can be found @ bs 669 part 1 1989 and bs3212-1992 for lpg.

hope this helps, mark.

I'm slightly surprised at that actually.

Why Ewan, a non-rigid coupling on something subject to physical and thermal movement strikes me as one of the more sensible regulations.

Roy.

sparkymarky":pbm5h6yg said:
Interesting - my range style cooker (mainly pressed steel rather than cast iron) has a flexible connector pipe. Now this seems sensible to me as I can pull out the cooker to disconnect it. I can't see how you'd do that with fixed pipe connector.

Digit":1foj55hp said:
I'm slightly surprised at that actually.

Why Ewan, a non-rigid coupling on something subject to physical and thermal movement strikes me as one of the more sensible regulations.

Roy.

I agree completely! But unless I've horribly misunderstood sparkymarky, it isn't a requirement for it to have a non-rigid coupling! That's why I'm surprised.

Back