Garage lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I've installed a lot of fluorescent lights in my garage but the level of lighting still falls short of what I want.

I need to put in a reflective, (white), ceiling and re paint the walls in a lighter colour - the moral of the story is that the surrounding conditions are as important as the choice of lighting.

Regards Mick

I had 12 double fluorescent lights put in my 13m x 13m workshop with the daylight type bulbs, the light is amazing, not as harsh as the old school type fluorescents. The lighting is incredibly natural, can't remember the make, i'll try and find out if I remember. Not sure whether the height of them effects their efficiency, and whether you may need specific task lighting in areas.

Nathan

nathandavies":3buucn28 said:
I had 12 double fluorescent lights put in my 13m x 13m workshop with the daylight type bulbs, the light is amazing, not as harsh as the old school type fluorescents. The lighting is incredibly natural, can't remember the make, i'll try and find out if I remember. Not sure whether the height of them effects their efficiency, and whether you may need specific task lighting in areas.

Nathan

I'd be interested in hearing what these bulbs are too - fluorescent battens already fitted in my new workshop but no natural light in there.

Modern fluorescent lights are really good. The big difference is from "high frequency" control gear, in my experience. This gives flicker free light which starts up instantly. Add in the daylight tubes for best results.

I work in a garage too and find florescent tubes a bit of a dead loss when there's no white ceiling to bounce light back down.
In addition to a central strip light, I now use a set of cheap floodlights (eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/security-floo ... 00lm/95207 ). Each one is positioned on the rafters directed at particular work areas bench/lathe/bandsaw etc. They provide lots of good light and each one is on it's own lead and gets plugged in as necessary. Whilst they're aren't the most energy efficient lamps they have the added advantage of giving a little warmth in each work area in winter.

In my local diy store (an incredibly good one, I might add) a GU 10 LED lamp and an adjustable holder for just over a tenner - I'm going to put them over my benches when we move. Brilliant light exactly where you want it. In an area so small as a garage, you'll always have shadows so why not put the light where you need it most? If you do go down this route, be aware that the spread angle of the lamps varies from 35 to 120.

P.s. I'm going to light my aquaria with them as well.

I 'work' in a shed just a tad bigger than a single garage and have put fluorescent tubes down each side a foot or so from the walls so that the light will fall on the machines and benches without me casting a shadow over them. On the whole it works well but I am still going to have to paint the ceiling and upper walls white to increase the light level.

If you are interested, I can supply you with SMD LED strips lights. I had a single garage workshop back in Blackburn and fitted two 2.5m strips running of a PC PSU. The light output was more than the previous 6' twin flourescent tube.

With suitable power supply, I can supply this to you for £50 posted. All you will need to do is fit a quick release plug to the cable that comes to your existing light fitting (just three wires to connect inside the plug), and then find somewhere to mount the power supply. You can fit the SMD strips to some battens of 2x1 PAR screwed to the joists.

PM me if you're interested.

The roof in the garage is plasterboard covered in dust and cobwebs, so maybe a coat of paint or some reflective insulating boards would be my first cost effective improvement.
Are daylight bulbs must brighter than standard ones? Maybe changing my existing double 5' 58 watt tubes to daylight might give me improvement too?
I have never heard of TLD direct before. Are they a reputable company? Their prices look very good.

I have not considered LED strips before. I will look into this and may contact you MMUK.

Halogen floodlights get very hot. Is there a fire risk with fine wood dust in the air?
I will consider adding LED floodlights as a later option.

Thanks all for the advice.

ian_in_the_midlands":uv9rx43x said:
I have never heard of TLD direct before. Are they a reputable company? Their prices look very good.

Thanks all for the advice.
Following on from the link to TLC above, I ordered two 6ft twins. They arrived today by their own transport, a lovely lady driver, chirpy as a budgie, except the unit were wrong. I ordered as per the link and received corrosion resistant waterproof units complete with diffusers. I phoned them and was told they were more than happy to swap out next week or I could keep the upgraded ones at no extra cost.

So, reputable? I'd say so, really polite and helpful, superb prices and excellent delivery.

Phil.

SteveF":s57nft0p said:
waterproof should mean they will keep the dust out

Steve
Yes, a real bonus, and tube protection from flying bits as one will be used over the lathe. They were priced at £12 per unit more, but still an excellent price at £35 a pop, under 1/2 the cost of screwfix.

Phil

Latest posts

Back