Garage Doors using external fire door blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
I've not tried this but I am wondering if this could be a good way to make a pair of good solid doors for my garage (workshop).

I can get 1200 x 2400 external door blanks that can be cut down to any size. This would allow me to lip them and dress the up in any approved manner according to the management!

However, I have been told that they would "delaminate" after a while.
I can't see how this would happen reallly but I thought I would ask you lot for your thoughts.

These are solid core doors, unfinished with plywood outer skins as far as I can tell and are definitely external fire doors so should be solid, heavy and not prone to being affected by the weather.

What think you?
Cheers,

SF

Hi

I bought a door blank from Howdens Joinery at least 10 years ago and dressed it down to a 900 x 2100 single back garage door.

Didn't bother lipping it as it was always intended as a stop gap until I built my extension (now finally underway), but it's still there and apart from very minor movement in very wet winters has been absolutely fine.

I gave it 3 coats of sikkens and have applied a couple of coats since with only minor rubbing down. Not a good looking door but functional.

Door had an engineered core of strip / glued mixed hardwoods and faced with ply. Hung on 3 std 100mm brass hinges and as it is a back door to the house also, it is used very regularly.

Seem to remember it didn't cost much although I have a trade account - it was bloody heavy! :)

Bob

Bob, It was Howdens' doors I was looking at.
Glad to hear their blanks do last.

I was proposing to dress them up with lipping and perhaps some applied mouldings to give a decent effect.

I was finding it hard to believe that a solid core door could delaminate if properly treated. They are marketed for external use, after all!

Possibly strange advice, based on incorrect information, no doubt.

50kg is the published weight. You would not want to drop that on yer foot!
Cheers,

SF

Hi
My experience is obviously with that 1 door only but no complaints even though I was dubious when I bought it.

If you treat yours properly (unlike mine) they work out well.

I assume you have a trade account with Howdens as they usually won't sell to Joe public although I know they do.
If you haven't, can you find a mate who has as there can be quite a price saving. Failing that, do some hard negotiating and tell them you are a professional woodworker. They need the business at the minute, they, and all my other suppliers are ringing me every week at the minute.

rgds

Bob

Just another thought - might be worth considering a couple of those sprung gate wheels (screwfix) to help support the weight of the doors as you open them. They need a reasonably smoothish surface to work on though.

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. I think someone has been giving me incorrect information about these doors not holding up outside in the weather. I thought that was what they were for!!.

I can get them at a discount with any luck but I'm not sure if I can use the support wheel thingies because the drive slopes down away from the doorway. Think I might have to go for four hinges on each door and hope for the best. I will certainly look into anything on those lines, though.
Many thanks for your thoughts and advice - much appreciated.
Cheers,
SF

I have a howdens fire door blank, i use it as top for my outside workbench (used for sanding etc...), its been outside the workshop for at least six years with no finish applied to it and its still sound no delaminating etc...
They are good for utility doors but can swell slightly,i prefer to edge the all round,but i dont know if its really needed

awkwood":2iarfmh2 said:
I have a howdens fire door blank, i use it as top for my outside workbench (used for sanding etc...), its been outside the workshop for at least six years with no finish applied to it and its still sound no delaminating etc...
They are good for utility doors but can swell slightly,i prefer to edge the all round,but i dont know if its really needed

Hey, that's a great idea and I'm going to do that with mine.
It's surplus when I get my extension finished and I'll have a 5m x 3m sort of carport covered area at the back of the house as undercover work area so will be perfect. :)

Back