G.T.L Crosscut saw... More info needed!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2wis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got the saw in question from a carboot at the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this manufacture? The blade is etched with G.T.L, there is a 6 stamped on the last tooth for the tpi and the teeth have been sharpened (very nicely) in a crosscut pattern.

I've attached photo of the makers marks.

Attachments

• rps20150803_204020.jpg
    rps20150803_204020.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,127
  • rps20150803_203957.jpg
    rps20150803_203957.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,127
  • rps20150803_203939.jpg
    rps20150803_203939.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,127
If that's a crosscut saw it's the coarsest one I've ever seen. It's not terribly unusual to put a little fleam on a rip saw which this saw most certainly appears to be.

Ah maybe that's the case, I'll get some better pictures of the cut tomorrow in daylight.

Thanks for the links to the other threads, interesting reads!

CStanford":3oehd2ee said:
If that's a crosscut saw it's the coarsest one I've ever seen. It's not terribly unusual to put a little fleam on a rip saw which this saw most certainly appears to be.

That would be a very relaxed pitch for a RIP saw.

Perfectly reasonable site carpenters crosscut IMHO.

BugBear

Possibly, but the spelching would be something to behold. Maybe a timber-framer's crosscut. I wouldn't let it near soft, dimensional lumber.

From experience of rummaging around in UK Ebay, I'd say there were about ten 26" 6tpi handsaws for every one 10tpi panel saw. That probably just reflects the greater number of carpenters than cabinetmakers.

Having looked at the edge again this lunch I'm thinking it is just a rip saw, looks to have plenty of fleam and set though!

Unable to get a good photo of it.

Cheshirechappie":303jrk4y said:
From experience of rummaging around in UK Ebay, I'd say there were about ten 26" 6tpi handsaws for every one 10tpi panel saw. That probably just reflects the greater number of carpenters than cabinetmakers.

That's interesting. By far the most common crosscut saw here would be an 8 pt at 26" with much smaller teeth than the saw pictured. Disston must have made them in the millions (brand plus private label), certainly hundreds of thousands of them. Standard kit for site carpenters before power tools. Next up would be a 10 pt at 26" then 10 pt saws in shorter lengths down to 20". The two 26" saws - 8 pt. and 10 pt. the definite favorites for crosscuts.

Latest posts

Back