Furniture making with a lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Do any of you here use your lathe to make chairs, tables and the like?

My searches aren't finding much. I'd like to learn more about chair making and spindle turning.

Any good websites or links?

Thanks in advance

Hi Green,

I make components for furniture, either to replace old ones for restorers or as components for new items.

There is a lady called Anne Hayes who is on the RPT and makes windsor type chairs for a living. I've done a bit of a Google and couldn't find much more than her address. On the AWGB Seminar site there is a picture of one of her chairs from the gallery:

HayesAnne_2small.jpg

She does some lovely work. I can't really understand anyone in business not having a website these days :? !

HTH

Richard

Thanks Richard, that chair is stunning.

I have been googling around and cant find that much, mostly bowls and hollow forms etc.

What is the RPL?

Hi Green,

The RPT is the Register of Professional Turners, run by the Worshipful Company of Turners (one of the old London Guilds)

Richard

ray jones has dvds and plans about spindle turning and making chairs he says to make any furniture you use spindle turning will try to find out where he sells them
hope this helps
cheers

Thanks for that, I will have a look.

There really isn't much info about (that I can find) on the subject.

cheers

The bodgers over Buckingham way used to make chairs parts by the hundreds from green wood. They'd turn all the parts in the woods then deliver them to the furniture makers for assembly. All done on pole lathes. Usually turning is combined with flat work for mosts furniture. Stoolds and occasional tables are a possibility though. Most woodturners do parts for furniture but seldom the whole thing

Pete

Latest posts

Back