Funny things you've seen in workshop or onsite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
yrebupes.jpg

Brickies choice of radio location tickled me - mixing up the tunes a bit :)
Lets see what other crazyness is out there !
Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I used to work on a site with a guy who was very attached to his sthll saw.
He would cut everything with it.
He was also the only builder I know who would make the Pisa Tower builders look like German engineers.
He had the 'smiling brick wall' down to a fine art.
Hours of entertainment.

I remember one civils guy who owned his own dumper. Fully road registered and he used to drive it to site. All blinged up with neon strips and chrome mirrors and grilles. He must have spent a fortune on it. It was finished in fire engine red, proper full gloss finish. He'd wash and wax it at the end of every day and then drive it home.

Hudson Carpentry":1c5vj907 said:
After cutting a odd shape on band saw the off cut looked like a giant sperm.
We need photos !! :cool:
The dumper truck sounds well good. Bet he was scared 5hitless having to leave it parked onsite with the other trucks :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My boss decided he would show me 'how it's done' a couple of months ago. Placed an MFC shelf between two sawhorses and proceeded to lean on and cut right down the middle. Well about an inch from the end of cutting the shelf snapped, he ended up face down on the floor between the sawhorses arm in the air with the jigsaw still going. Dangerous but funniest thing I have seen in a long time!

When I started work a long long time ago most chippys carried their tools around in a wooden box. One day a chippy went off for a comfort break and left his tools on the floor. One of the apprentices took all his tools out, nailed his tool box to the wooden floor and put all the tools back. Poor guy comes back, bends to pick up his tools and nearly has a hernia (hammer)

Regards Keith

High voltage cable jointing at the LG site in Newport.
Their site " engineer " confidently tells me he has already identified the cable we need to work on.
To prove the cable was dead we would spike a cable with a explosive round powered spiking gun, remotely operated from 10 yards away by a string.
My mate was about to point out the "cable" was actually a 3" plastic water main, but much winking and shushing soon stopped that.
After fitting the gun to the "cable" the "engineer" went on to tell us how he had worked all round the world on many construction projects, for the good and the great of the civil engineering world.
I offered the cord to him for the honours of proving the cable.
He accepted.
We stepped back a further 20 yards.
He got wet, very very wet.
We laughed.
He stopped boasting.

A boastful workmate site managed his own home build and decided as the silver backed plaster board was only a bit more expensive than regular he would 'Upgrade' for the whole house. When he moved in he could not get mobile or wireless internet in the house as he had made every room into a Faraday Cage and had to put cables running around the house on top of skirting boards etc - I laugh every time I think about it and he told me about a year ago - haha Jinx

At a certain high-tech manufacturing operation, an extension to the shipping area included high bays, and new forklift trucks to match. The operators managed to knock sprinkler heads off the roof not once, but THREE times.

Given the site was one vast open-plan space (manufacturing, management and office staff all together - Herman Miller city), and that the last one happened on a week-end when the guys who knew about the valves were at home, nobody was very happy by occasion three.

As part of a Council Housing development there was a block of semi detached houses getting built (builder will remain nameless). The timber frame kit was up, the windows were being installed, the trusses were in place and work on the roofs had started. My friend was to start installing the underfloor heating and couldn't get his head round the rooms (being a plumber he was trying to work out why there were drainage pop ups in the living room etc.)

He then realised the block had been built the wrong way round - with the front doors opening into the back gardens!

There was another one where a combined heat and power engine was being installed om a job, the heating installers did the usual and didn't bother reading the installation instructions claiming they were all in German or something. Anyway they obviously couldn't figure out the connections and ended up welding the gas supply on to the exhaust pipe.

Well this was sort of funny - from a workmanship perspective, although not from the customers !

Cheers

Karl

Years ago sitting in my 2nd floor office, a group of workmen were demolishing some terrace houses opposite.
They had removed the roof slates, had lassoed the chimney stack and were pulling it towards themselves whist standing on the roof trusses.
As expected there was an enormous crash, clouds of dust and soot followed by the roof trusses and the men disappearing downwards into it!!
When the dust had settled the men climbed out, absolutely blackened but seemingly uninjured?

They went on to do the others in exactly the same way!!

Rod

I was watching some workers replacing lamp posts in the street a few years ago and they were using a digger with a strop around the post to pull them out. There was a man holding the bottom to try and stop it toppling over when it was clear of its shoe. I was quietly wondering about my high school physics and the angle of moment when the inevitable happened and the post fell over flinging the guy onto his behind. He was uninjured and the post managed to fall between two cars on the other side of the road. The pushed it aside and started on the next post in exactly the same way!

Back