• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Ftagh early glass panes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A bit of an odd one but I rescued some sashes and a nice pair of french doors from a queen Anne or Georgian manor house. The glass panes are hard to find for restoring old windows.
I am not bothered about selling them just passionate about them not being smashed in a skip.
Not sure posting is an option.
I can measure if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20231206_125132.jpg
    20231206_125132.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231206_125001.jpg
    20231206_125001.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That old glass has so much character so well done for trying to find a home for it.

Don't wish to do a 'Debbie Downer' on this but I've had very little luck trying to cut old glass. I've heard various explanations as to why this is so. but, explanations aside - I just find it a lot easier, cutting fresh glass to size.

Nice stuff.
I've re-used loads of old glass over the years. Usually it's a bit tacky around the edges with spalls and scratches so I tended to cut it off for smaller sized panes.
Cuts easy if you clean it first. Can be difficult if you don't!
A cheapo substitute is horticultural glass which is generally 3mm and has imperfections a bit like old glass but not as good.

It cuts OK with a decent cutter. Much of this glass was years old. Around the bird was greenhouse glass but the supplier reckoned no imperfections these days. Cleaning is real important.

Attachments

• 20240216_153453.jpg
    20240216_153453.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240216_153524.jpg
    20240216_153524.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
Looks like at its oldest it would be Victorian ….Pilkingtons was founded in 1826 making crown glass (Late Georgian era) and that glass is far to good optically to be from that era.

In a past life I spent 13 years in R&D in the glass industry…just to qualify my comments

Nice stuff.
I've re-used loads of old glass over the years. Usually it's a bit tacky around the edges with spalls and scratches so I tended to cut it off for smaller sized panes.
Cuts easy if you clean it first. Can be difficult if you don't!
A cheapo substitute is horticultural glass which is generally 3mm and has imperfections a bit like old glass but not as good.
Second that on the greenhouse glass. I used 3mm g/h glass on a narrow door I'd made for an architect for his own 150 year old house 30+ years ago. He was most impressed that I'd found suitable antique glass....

Ca you still get horticultural glass? Last time I had to replace some in the greenhouse, I was told it had been discontinued and we had to shell out for toughened. Of course, that may just have been a load of BS to get us buying the more expensive stuff...

Old glass has a lot of value to restoration companies, so it might be worthwhile ringing around your nearest reclamation yards and see what they advise.
I buy in old picture framing glass from antique frame dealers and use it to re-frame antique art work but the glass is only 2mm thick.
For anyone wanting to use and cut it, I advise using chalk whiting with white spirit as a paste to clean it first. 0000 wire wool can be used on any stubborn stains.
Then you need a Toyo glass cutter for a reliable cut.

Thank you all for your input, I know little of window glass, I have some very old mirror glass that I have been reframing mostly mercury glass I have found in Italy.
Adam, there is no hurry it's been lying around for a while on the must deal with list, so I now feel I have started.😊

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input, I know little of window glass, I have some very old mirror glass that I have been reframing mostly mercury glass I have found in Italy.
Adam, there is no hurry it's been lying around for a while on theust deal with list, so I now feel I have started.😊
Thanks.

It all depends on something very exciting coming off. I'll let you know in early March, as I'll have a yes or no by then.

Ca you still get horticultural glass? Last time I had to replace some in the greenhouse, I was told it had been discontinued and we had to shell out for toughened. Of course, that may just have been a load of BS to get us buying the more expensive stuff...
If you are anywhere near Hayle I think BHGS still stock it

I suspect this glass wouldn't have huge value only to purists. Some even fairly recent glass say small flemish has been discontinued and was used extensively in later stained glass. Small sheets can fetch £10. Roundels about £10 or less. Certain types are beyond scarce of course.

Back