Fruit knife....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok... so i've got a friend that knows i do a bit of wood turning, and has even been lucky enough to have be given a little pupleheart box i made.

Now then..... like me, she's got a dad who's getting on a bit (mid 80's) and she'd like to be able to give him a special handmade gift for his up-coming birthday, and she's thinking of a fruit knife. She's after the old fashioned 'pocket' type of knife rather than the normal knife kits i've seen i.e. a cheeseknife/grapefruit knife type of thing. Anyone got any ideas where i might find such a thing..?

I've found plenty of knife kits made from wood. But of course they also have a wooden blade.... not much good for cutting a juicy apple... :(

Any help much appreciated....

Nick

Hmmmm.... difficult one. You could possibly get hold of a "skeleton" type knife and adapt it to have a wooden handle. It's a bit dodgy in the UK though even carrying a tiny pocket knife. I always had one of the Victorinox knives on my keyring, just the job for removing splinters, opening boxes etc. The blade was about an inch and a quarter long.
Then a bloke I know got pulled over by the bizzies and they noticed one of the same type in the centre console of his car. He was done for carrying an offensive weapon.

Unless you have a "legitimate" reason for carrying a knife other than a non-locking folding knife with a blade less than 75mm you are breaking the law.
I got pulled in carrying a tiny Al Mar folding knife with a blade about 20mm long but it locked!
My Swiss Army pen knife with a 74mm blade is OK.

Rod

phil.p":37je76kc said:
The bloke you know should appeal as the legal limit is three inches.
He wasn't prosecuted in the end. Under Scots law though, the police have the power to detain a person in custody until they appear in court. That was what happened in this case. He was locked up from the Friday evening until finally being released by the court on the Monday afternoon.
All because someone was in a p**sy mood about something or other.

Many thanks for the links guys. I've had a good look but dont think anything really hits the nail.

BUT... thanks to John... that's exactly the thing i'm after, showed it to my friend and she also said "brilliant... that's it"

Only trouble is of course Craft Supplies are in America and i've heard woeful tales of import duties & taxes... :(

ummm.... i wonder if there's anyone on here that maybe has an account with Craft Supplies USA and buys things on a rugular(ish) basis..? that i could ask if when next placing an order i could possibly add to that order and buy say half a dozen of these little pocket knives.... :D

Nick

Remember i asked a few weeks ago about a fruit knife..?

Well i contacted my friendly supplier who were good enough to put in an order for me =D> =D>

And here's the results so far.....

A cute little 'keyring' pocket knife, just right for slicing and sharing an apple when out and about...

This one if from a piece of burr oak sent to me by Mr Dodge a few years ago

And this one is from a piece of buffalo horn. First time with this material so didn't know what to expect, but it polishes up like glass 8)

Many thanks to John jpt for the heads-up on the kit..... =D> =D> =D>

Nick

Oh YES...... very sturdy & bloody sharp little pippers too...!! managed to jab me finger while taking the pics :shock:

Nick

Nick where did you manage to source these from in the end? Would like to have a go at that...

Hi guys....

It was Turners Retreat. It's NOT an item they stock as standard, so i contacted them (via Facebook) and the nice young lady said "sure, we'd be happy to put an order in when they also put their order in too...."

So i ordered 4.... seemed a bit silly ordering just the 1. They worked out at just under a tenner each by the time they landed here from USA, so had to buy some other bits 'n' bobs to make the order value up to £50 and save the carriage costs.

Took just over 2 weeks to arrive, but worth the wait, cracking little beauties...... :)

Nick

So presumably this sort of thing is more easily sourced in the states? I'm visiting there in august so I might just find some space in my case for goodies...... Last time I had a bunch of old tools I had bought on ebay and had delivered to my daughter's house.

Back