fretwork cutting veering toward the right

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I have this the right way round :? but when cutting I have to compensate the way the blade is cutting by pushing the work to the left all the time. I'm getting good results but its a bit disconcerting as when using a saw you expect it to cut in a straight line! I think this is normal but just posting here to double check...machine is a basic new Hegner...

Also, another niggle - I wouldnt say this machine is sewing machine smooth when cutting. Theres a fair amount of noise and vibration and I was expecting it to be quieter and more refined to be honest...

Having to compensate when cutting straight, is normal, scroll saw blades are not cut, but are stamped out, this means a slight burr on one side, which will cause you to drift of line, unless you compensate, so all is well. You don’t have a problem

Take care.

Chris R.

The blade will always go to one side,I always follow the line and move the work to keep it cutting straight.I own the Multicut 1 single speed,and I bought the stand at the same time and it has been fastened down.I do not get any vibration and I am quite happy with the noise level.If you have not bolted the machine down you may get vibration and the noise could be due to it not being bolted down.I have just been on the Hegner and I will say that it does sound like a sewing machine.I had not really noticed the sound with using the machine mostly every day ,and while I work on the machine I must confess that I wear headphones playing Classic FM.

Bryan

As you have discovered its not as easy as it looks. It all depends on what your cutting and what type of blade you are using. I find flying dutchman ultra reverse blades are the best. Take heart though for after a ehile you will compensate the right amount automatically as you gain more experience.

First I want to say, that no blades are stamped, they are milled.
Check this: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/How%20blades%20made.htm
Once in awhile there can be some bad spots in the wire and the person who stands my the milling machine has no
idea about this.
Most blades have a burr and will cut to the right. You have to move the wood some degree to the right to stay on the line.
Did you know that making flour, rolls are used to grind the wheat. That is called milling flour and the person who checks the rollers is called a Miller.
FD Mike

Mike M":18nf5zjo said:
First I want to say, that no blades are stamped, they are milled.
Check this: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/How%20blades%20made.htm
Once in awhile there can be some bad spots in the wire and the person who stands my the milling machine has no
idea about this.
Most blades have a burr and will cut to the right. You have to move the wood some degree to the right to stay on the line.
Did you know that making flour, rolls are used to grind the wheat. That is called milling flour and the person who checks the rollers is called a Miller.
FD Mike

Not absolutely correct, there are three methods of scroll blade manufacture, (punched stamped), (notched milled) and (ground).

Irrespective of which method of manufacturing process is used all blades end up with a burr on one side, to a greater or lesser extent.

Therefore this burr will cause the blade to track, which has to be compensated for by the saw operator.

Take care.

Chris R.

This is for the operator to do.
Chris I do not know if you ever went to visit a company who makes blades. I went to two companies in Germany. One who makes my blades and one who makes most of the blade for Olson. That is Haunstetter. I have been told that the Swiss company does it the same way.
I do not know who does it different than milling. Maybe you could tell us.
FD Mike

thanks for replies, all seems normal then :) will look at bolting the saw down..

Mike M":wabqvmrt said:
This is for the operator to do.
Chris I do not know if you ever went to visit a company who makes blades. I went to two companies in Germany. One who makes my blades and one who makes most of the blade for Olson. That is Haunstetter. I have been told that the Swiss company does it the same way.
I do not know who does it different than milling. Maybe you could tell us.

FD Mike

ChrisR":wabqvmrt said:
Having to compensate when cutting straight, is normal, scroll saw blades are not cut, but are stamped out, this means a slight burr on one side, which will cause you to drift of line, unless you compensate, so all is well. You don’t have a problem

Take care.

Chris R.

No I have never visited a scroll saw blade manufacturing company, nor do I need to, my information comes from the pen of the late great, (Patrick Spielman), one of the most informed authority, if not the most, on the art of scroll sawing and scroll sawing equipment, he had probably known and forgotten more information than most of us will ever obtain.

It is irrelevant in any case, because you are just repeating the information I gave to the original poster with by first post, all blades have a burr to one side, which has to be compensated for by the scroll saw operator. (As my post above).

If a company starts to manufacture a blade without any side burr, by whatever method, that will be a positive move, but I doubt this will ever happen, as the manufacture of scroll saw blades will never be a big money earner, to the extent that a company would invest in complex blade cutting equipment. If they did and the blade was a premium price, how many of us would be purchasing it.

Take care.

Chris R.

Chris, once again. The blades are not stamped. I have met Patrick many times. We lost a great teacher and his books still sell well.
He would have loved to had visit one. The companies who sell scroll saw blades also make many other kinds of blades.
Like I said before, Chris, I have been there. They told me that the blades are milled, not stamped. Most of the blades have burr on the right. One company came out with a new blade with less of a burr. They do not cut 100% straight but close to it.
I am glad to help you, to get an invitation to one of the companies. That is, if you want to travel to Germany.
FD Mike

Would it be useful to remove the burr? - I suspect a modern diamond plate would make short work of it.

BugBear

Matt@":3oxh01c3 said:
I think I have this the right way round :? but when cutting I have to compensate the way the blade is cutting by pushing the work to the left all the time. I'm getting good results but its a bit disconcerting as when using a saw you expect it to cut in a straight line! I think this is normal but just posting here to double check...machine is a basic new Hegner...

I wouldn't compensate by "pushing". If the blade wants to cut 10 degrees to the left, alter the angle of presentation by 10 degrees, and no pushing force will be required - redefine your definition of "straight".

Bandsaw owners have to do this (unless they're very lucky) when resawing.

BugBear

bugbear":2wmiv3f7 said:
Would it be useful to remove the burr? - I suspect a modern diamond plate would make short work of it.

I did this very thing and it did work in that it cut straighter, but the blades kept breaking. Having said that, they were old and cheap blades, I haven't tried it with FD or Olson blades. Now there's something to do this afternoon. :)

Bandsaw owners have to do this (unless they're very lucky) when resawing.

I kept seeing this 'resawing' term used in a bandsaw context and had no idea what it meant, so I finally looked it up. Never too old to learn, as the saying goes.

Mike M":26zhz9og said:
Chris, once again. The blades are not stamped. I have met Patrick many times. We lost a great teacher and his books still sell well.
He would have loved to had visit one. The companies who sell scroll saw blades also make many other kinds of blades.
Like I said before, Chris, I have been there. They told me that the blades are milled, not stamped. Most of the blades have burr on the right. One company came out with a new blade with less of a burr. They do not cut 100% straight but close to it.
I am glad to help you, to get an invitation to one of the companies. That is, if you want to travel to Germany.
FD Mike

Mike M.

Thanks for the offer, but I never travel more than approx twenty to thirty miles from home, and there has to be a very good reason to travel that far.
I have not been outside the county of Cornwall, for more than sixteen years.

If blades are no longer stamped, then the pen of (Patrick Spielman) is incorrect or out dated, but that’s not really important the important thing here, is for all new to scroll sawing, appreciate that all blades have a burr to one side, to a greater or lesser degree, that has to be compensated for. All of us scroll saw users with many years under our belts already know this, and the correction comes automatically.

Take care, and thanks again for the offer.

Chris R

Back