French doors and window construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
One for the joiners here, I think.

My neighbour and I are currently making a set of 23 sahses for his house.It's tedious but doable.

I am thinking of having some building work done, and if we go ahead, I plan to make the windows and French door. It's a smaller (I think) but more involved job than all those sashes.

I can easily copy the style of the existing frames, but I was wondering if there are modern construction styles that will give me superior energy/security benefits, that I can incorporate into a traditional aesthetic.

I've probably got a few magazine articles (if I can find them - I'm a few years out of kilter with my referencing!), but can anyone recommend a good book or other resouces?

Hi Steve , are these sliding sashes or casements ?
My first thoughts are ( if casements ) to add a rebate to hold a rubber gasket in the frame . If sliding sashes they seem to be adding brushes to them these days , i find a product called Mr Cosy :lol: does the same job .
Jason .

Hi Steve

How easy is it to get certification for self-constructed windows to pass the 2002 (and 2006) Building Regulations changes concerning replacement windows and glazed doors?

john

As far as im aware you cant . You need to involve building control and give them money , wasn't that the point of the whole law ? Oh no silly me it was to do with U values :x

These are casements.

I'm not trying to be subversive, not at all, I'm happy to make what is required. Just looking for guidance so I don't fall foul of the council.

The windows I've done recently have required a full set of drawings to be presenrted together with cross sectional drawings of the windows and a written specification from the double glazing supply stating glass types, thicknesses, U-values. I don't mind doing the drawings, it's just the 6-week wait it takes for the local BCO to glance at them then give it the thumbs up (or the bird) - oh, and then the last one had to go to Planning for their consent as the house was grade II. Took 16 weeks to get approval, all told....... Arghhhhh!

Scrit

Scrit

Would approval like this need to be done on a new set of patio doors too?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Steve.

Thank you guys.

I've rung the council this morning.

"'Ello?"
"Is that Building Control?"
"Yeah."

Pause

"I think the phrase for which you are looking is 'Good Morning, Sir, how may I help you?'."

Actually I've just made that last bit up, but it's what I wanted to say, but I thought better of getting on the wrong side of hm from the outset. He definitely needs a refund from his course at the CHarm School.

Anyway, to my point.

1 Probably don't need Planning Permission, but get the paperwork to show so in the future, and in case a neighbour complains.

2 They don't much care what the windows look like, as long as the rebates are big enough to take 4-16-4 (I'm planning on 4-20-4), there is safety glass in the French doors and windows to the side, and they meet the thermal regs.

3 We have proper foudations dug and roof timber sizes stated.

I thouyght that was pretty reasonable actually. We can do it on Building Notice, £275, and they come out the next day to look at the various stages - foundation, DPC and roof.

Doesn't sound too difficult.....

Not necessarily just the neighbours!

If you do a web search you find a lot of comments along the lines of:
When the time comes to sell your property, your purchaser’s solicitors while undertaking the necessary searches, you be will asked for evidence that any replacement glazing installed after April 2002 complies with the new Building Regulations.

Which begs the question of how anyone knows when replacement glazing was installed.

Possibly not a problem at present but in 10-15 years or so when many modern wood frames might be expected to have started rotting....

Hi

Which begs the question of how anyone knows when replacement glazing was installed.

If you look inside modern sealed units there is a date code printed which tells when the unit was replaced.

Cheers Alan

Good first post and welcome to the forum Oliverkelly :D
Its know that some very norty Joiners backdate invoices to get over the new Tax ops i mean U value law . Not that i would ever do such a thing just to replace a persons window in their own house .

Latest posts

Back