Free saw sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I quite like saw sharpening, i find it strangely theraputic.
As such i would like to offer free hand saw sharpening for anyone that is interested. Mainly i would like feedback on the sharpening etc to see if they are to forum standards and to hone my technique.
As such i would like saws that are not in need of a complete retoothing and are not peoples pride and joy but are that saw that has sat unused on a shelf for lack of a sharpen, a sad state i would like to make good.
I am happy to reset, hand file and adjust to the users preffered medium of rip, crosscut etc. I expect no renumeration but would obvisually need the user to cover postage i will cover the cost of files etc.
there is no alterior motive other than to practise.
Anyone who is interested please pm me.
Happy to tighten handles etc but would prefer not to strip saws apart.
Owen

Owen, an admirable offer indeed and hope your skill becomes the best in the country =D> 8)

Many thanks
Andy
Ps if you run short I may have one or two for you :wink:

Hello Corset,I have 4 handsaws at on saw and a dovetail saw that need attention,the handsaws ,a disston a sndvik and two spear and Jackson saws were all sharpened by the people who I use to sharpen my machine blades .They make a good job of circular saw blades,planer knives and router cutters but their handsaw sharpening leaves a lot to be desired.They seem sharp enough but have a tendency to wander when cross cutting thicker material.I have worked wood for most of my life but never got too interested in saw sharpening an old friend of mine used to do mine for me and they were superb but I no longer work with him and we are out of touch.If you are interested you can have a go at mine .They are all relatively sharp but as I say not altogether as they should be.I will gladly fund a couple of files and even turn you up some fancy file handles.I am only in Mansfield so I could probably drop them off for you.Would you want all of them at once or a couple at a time?

ok a few brave souls have taken up my offer and i look forward to sharpening their saws. If they are happy with the results i will put up the offer again in a few weeks time.
owen

That's a lovely offer, very generous. If you ever find a desire to do a complete retooth, I have a dovetail saw bought from another forum member some two years ago now that needed some tlc, but otherwise has no real value. I was going to try to learn to sharpen myself, but a willing saw doctor is seemingly harder to find nowadays, so you could well end up becoming the go-to guy for that as a nice little sideline; with fees ofc!

I could file off the current badly worn teeth to at least take that chore away.

let me get this lot out of the way and i will retooth it. i have a saw retoothing machine for this very prurpose. goes upto about 17tpi so that should be fine. Look forward to the challenge!

Yes Kevin I think I sent you a pm
Just give me an evening you want to pop over, I will resend the email
Owen

Corset

I'd be delighted if you could add me to the queue. By the time you have worked through all the others you will be quite skilled, and I'd be happy to pay!

cheers, Keith

If this goes where you have planned it, once you feel you have suitable skills you ought to then charge a bit.
Also maybe offer lessons........ I for one would be interested in that.

the only problem is that money complicates things, at the moment i just enjoy sharpening saws, the pressure of payment takes the fun away.
owen

I am must admit that i am a bit overwhelmed by the response, i though that saw sharpening was fairly common and everybody was getting down with the filing. Clearly not.
If i can get the results that people are happy with its something that i would be happy to offer to forum members.
A cup of coffee, some music and a bit of filing and i am as happy as can be.
owen

Latest posts

Back