Free ecommerce?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't read on if you're totally bored by computer stuff, mysql,php,html or whatever.....

I've been trying to set up a very small cheap (for cheap read free) ecommerce site - has anyone , anyone in the world ever managed to do this? There's a few sites out there that'll give you the stuff for free, I upload them and chmod etc and then fall over insurmountable hurdles (....that's not possible - is it? ....if they're insurmountable...) anyway, head is spinning - there's no way is there?

Chris.

OScommerce is free and pretty straight forward to set up. Even template driven so you can pick your site from a selection (but you start paying then)

If you want a better/easier version of OSCommerce, you can try ZenCart - I've setup about 4 of these for a number of clients and it all went quite smoothly. You can set it up very easily to use paypal if you don't want to run it through a payment gateway such a segpay or worldpay etc..

Thanks you two - now don't go squabbling about whether Oscommerce or Zencart is better - please!

I've just realised that one of the places I'm going wrong is not going back to my ISP's control panel and setting up the database and permissions.

I do like the idea of using open source software though, rather than a commercial outfit offering a verry cut down version - if I ever get one to work I might make a donation....no, really!

cheers guys.

Chris

Scrums, there is where I think ZenCart would be more suitable, it was designed from OsCommerce, and was made easier to install and less steps and easier for the novice to edit the design etc..

The support forums with it are excellent, and in my experience installs with a higher success rate than OsCommerce. But in the end you makes your choice, and each to their own etc etc etc... Good Luck!!

Well.....much to my surprise even I managed to install that without any problems. All I've got to do now is build a website around it, figure out how it works, make some stuff, photograph it, ftp it and sell it.....now the really hard bit!

Thanks all.

Chris.

Yup - once I'd figured out how to use my hosting accounts control panel, it was fairly straightforward, but like I said - now the hard work really starts.

Zencart though, has such good step by step documentation and help - makes it easy to use ( so far).

Chris.

Glad you got on well with it.

All free E-commerce solutions are never as streamlined and efficient as a commercial or bespoke solution, but I think zencart does a fairly decent attempt at making it possible for most people to setup and edit.

Just out of interest, what are you intending on selling?

Back