Free Drawing Software Package Suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I download and inatalled Fusion 360 without issue. I'm classed as a private user so have free use of the softwear.

Just need to get started now...............................

Thanks again for the suggestions. And I am enjoying the 2D vis 3D discussion!

Regards,

Karl

Had a look at Sketchup recently, as I found models for the Rietveld Hillebrandt bench I was looking to make, obviously I am doing everything wrong, but I could not make heads or tails of Sketchup. Granted, I use PTC Creo Parametric / Pro/Engineer professionally (or at least, used to, manager now), and that is such a breeze now, quite a learning curve though. I think there is a free educational version, or maybe you only get that if you take one of their trainings ($$$).
With respect to 3d modeling, as mentioned above, it is universal now, still a firm believer in 2d drawings though, there are some trials going on to do 3d drawings, in the model itself, but I always ask those proponents, "what if you want to print something out and take it to the workshop to discuss and mark-up?". Making a 2d drawing from a 3d model is not that much work, gives you something to communicate, and it is still part of the contract with a supplier (but they always ask for 3d models...., even though there is no geometric tolerancing on those :roll: ).

I'm still using the Google version 8 of Sketchup and have never found anything it couldn't do. As an example I drew my daughter house prior to extensive modifications to make sure the kitchen and all the white goods would fit in the available space, as well as wardrobes and fireplaces. I just find Sketchup works the way you would cut wood and assemble components.

wireframe M&T.png
I just had a play with the texture mapping aspect of Freecad as I only became aware of it a few days ago.Verdict-not bad,but not suitable for a material with a directional grain structure such as wood.I hope a few screenshots will appear with this post to show a bit about the simple mortise and tenon I modelled.

wireframe view of parts
rendered view of parts
grain texture added
drawing sample

Attachments

• wireframe M&T.png
    wireframe M&T.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 3D M&T.png
    3D M&T.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 21
  • M&T.png