Free AOL?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked this up on another thread.

In case you don't know, and lucky you are english speakers, AOL is Free! You can create a new account (on the US site) for free now. Of course it's not free in the UK & europe yet.
I didn't tell you that though

Anyone tried it?

I take it that this is just access to their online content rather than a broadband connection?
Tried it when the internet was a wee baby with only geeks using it.
Didn't really like AOL much, the interface was very clunky, and left after a few months - that was on very slow (forget your 56K, how does 9.6K grab ya?) dial-up and way back in 1993 though when the choices were really AOL, Compuserve or CIX :oops: .

Tony":1hp1nhdg said:
..snip.. how does 9.6K grab ya?) dial-up and way back in 1993 though .

That Good :shock: Just be thankful your kids were not dialing into a mainframe from home in the 1980's and running a card reader and acoustic coupler to load their projects in.

CHJ":1ru0qw2g said:
Tony":1ru0qw2g said:
..snip.. how does 9.6K grab ya?) dial-up and way back in 1993 though .

That Good :shock:
I can remember being well pleased when I got a 2400 baud modem, so much faster than the 300 one I had used for the BBS up until then. :roll:

Tony, AOL US is no longer in the business to sell broadband connectivity, so it's free everything, as much as hotmail or google is.

CYC":3sleifmv said:
Tony, AOL US is no longer in the business to sell broadband connectivity, so it's free everything, as much as hotmail or google is.

I wonder where the BB business model will end up. I believe that some USA citys have Free BB hot spots now.

CHJ":b6h5plj4 said:
CYC":b6h5plj4 said:

I wonder where the BB business model will end up. I believe that some USA citys have Free BB hot spots now.

You get a free PC with your free broadband connection? :wink:

Roger Sinden":5rw1hzhl said:
CHJ":5rw1hzhl said:

You get a free PC with your free broadband connection? :wink:

Only as long as you agree to activate your personal transponding Sat Nav, just so the store manager can make sure there is someone to look after you when you enter the store mind, nothing sinister.

..the free AOL is just an email address really. as you say no access..

AOL has never really sold broadband access in the us as the BB model in the US is pretty much bring your own access..lots of other carriers sort the access.

different here in the uk (and europe)

Latest posts

Back