Frame Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
There seems to be a resurgence in the use of Frame Saws - well at least in the mags and the web?

Tools for Working Wood sell a 300mm one with very narrow blades and extol the virtues of this type whereas on the Dick site they sell a range from 400mm to 700mm long (600mm being their best seller) with a much wider blade (40mm).

I have never actually used on, so what is the optimum size?

Rod :?

Harbo":3s1awhpc said:
There seems to be a resurgence in the use of Frame Saws - well at least in the mags and the web?

I have never actually used on, so what is the optimum size?

Rod :?
Rod - I've never used one either, but a 600mm blade seems to be the most popular size on the Continent - Rob

I made something really simple for re-sawing. Mine uses 60cm blades and was made from pine. This was a huge mistake - the saw is not heavy enough. I've experimented with lots of blades - 10 tpi cuts far too slowly - with a 5 tpi blade i can't get enough weight on the saw to make it bite.

The other thing i've found is that the smaller the kerf, the easier it is to saw - i'm wondering whether this is why some of the people who use bandsaw blades report much faster saw times? The fastest saw i have is actually the japanese rip saw from axminster - i'm sure this is partly due to the small kerf - unfortunately it gets stuck a lot.

Just a few thoughts...

Ben

Harbo":2yxciwdf said:

Bear in mind that this may reflect the enthusiasms and working practices of less than 20 people!

BugBear

Latest posts

Back