Fox vs Woodstar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings to the Group

I am thinking of buying this little spindle moulder for light moulding and shaping duties.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... le-moulder

I was considering its big brother

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... sn/WDSBS52

but the big price difference more than justifies Junior's lesser capability.

It looks like this Fox machine is a clone of the BS50

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/F60100A

with the exception that the Fox appears to have a little wheel to adjust the up/down of the cutter whereas the BS50 doesn't show that. Since this aspect is very important to me, does anyone know if the BS50 has a wheel or, if not, how its height mechanism works?

I've tried asking the few dealers but none of them have personal experience of this unit. I can't find a Woodstar site or the manual on line.

Thanx

Hi Foggy,

I have not used any the kit you have linked to, but to my eyes they look like router tables with the router built in, they are not true spindle moulders.

As long as you are only using router cutters, not spindle tooling they will probably work OK for small mouldings.

Fogggy,
I don't have experience of either machine but NMA Agencies handle Woodster products and can be contacted here.
NMA Agencies also do Scheppach, Kity, Mafell and a few other brands

I hope they can help you,

David

DaveL":3q25vhnh said:
Hi Foggy,

I have not used any the kit you have linked to, but to my eyes they look like router tables with the router built in, they are not true spindle moulders.

As long as you are only using router cutters, not spindle tooling they will probably work OK for small mouldings.

Yep, that's what they are. Right now I'm using a Ryobi table and router but the cutter changing is a PITA and I have no fine height adjustment except a scissors jack underneath the router! For my light-duty chores this Woodster unit looks ideal - IF it has the fine adjustment feature.

BTW - is it WoodstEr or WoodstAr? I've seen it both ways and their logo looks more like Ar than Er. But the NMA site says Er so I guess the logo was a bit of fancy.

Hi Foggy,

I was in the same situation as you and finally decided on the BS52, which I have used quite alot since purchased.

The cast iron bed is a nice feature and gives the unit a fair bit of weight when being used on top of a bench or workmate. The two pressed metal extensions are frankly not up to the job being a nightmare to align with the cast iron bed, and despite many attempts at fettling them into action I gave up and removed them.

The rise and fall is a nice feature but when the required height has been reached it is necessary to lock off the router which is done at a single point against the router, which can make fine height adjustment tricky.

I have never used a spindle cutter nor would I do so despite its description as it is only suited IMHO to using router bits and I would be scared to death doing so. :shock:

Changing bits is a doodle with the tools supplied and dust/chip extraction is good.

Changing speeds is easily done with the speed control at the front of the machine.

If you want more information I can do a more in depth assessment of it if this would be useful.

i bought the woodstar last week im setting it up in the morning......will post my finds tomorrow :wink: the reason i went for it is that i dont need to sacrifice a router to use it..........

ginsters":3dbnmxn4 said:
i bought the woodstar last week im setting it up in the morning......will post my finds tomorrow :wink: the reason i went for it is that i dont need to sacrifice a router to use it..........

I will definitely be looking forward to your views!

FogggyTown":1udzz3ob said:
ginsters":1udzz3ob said:

I will definitely be looking forward to your views!

just eating my dinner then il run some bits through :D

right then,ran some "turnip"oak through with no probs did some rebates and some shapes.....not the greatest fence in the world so il be making my own,tba i was going to anyway.........hight adjuster is very good and seems to lock off ok will find out propely tomorrow when i do about 16m in a hit :lol:

the table is solid and comes with extesion leafs.the motor is just a generic router/planer thicknessers type that these "generic" machines come with so could be replaced easly with the dewalt one

so the man from delmonte he say yes :wink:

just going to unpack my sip planer thickneser now see if it was a bargain.....

Back