Cheap plumped in dust extraction system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":y2uxt8qw said:
Rob..when you say the Camvac operates on a different principle to the Axminster can you explain a bit more?

Looking at the spec between the two, both units are rated at 2.2kW. The airflow of the Camvac twin is stated as 222cu ft/min ...approx 6 cu metre...which works out to 360 cu m per hour.

The Axminster is quoted at 2200 cu m per hour.

I'm no expert either but if the above figures are correct then it's suck that I want!

My machine is definitely a Camvac two motor..will post a picture later.
Now you've got me and I'm into uncharted waters...the Camvac is a vacuum device and the Ax2200 is something else :? I agree that the specs are different...maybe someone else could enlighten us? - Rob

The Camvac, DX5000, WV1000 are all dust extractors with built in filter systems that filter down to 0.5micron which covers all dust types including MDF. They are brush motored (noisier) and can generate high vacuum pressures but relatively low airflow. You can restrict the port size to fit hand power tools, sanders and routers. The twin motor devices also have enough power to use a 4inch port to extract from PT and table saws. A spindle moulder is marginal.

The ADE2200 and similar products typically do not filter down to the same level and are regarded as more chip collectors rather tha dust collectors. Having said that most have the ability to fit a filter but they are pretty pricey (£100. They have massive airflow but low vacuum pressure and this means the port size and piping MUST NOT be reduced from the 4 inch port. Thus you cannot use them with machines with small dust ports.

In a perfect world I would have both, HVLP for the PT, TS and SM and a HPLV for the sanders and routers etc.

I have just purchased a second han DX5000 as it seemed the best compromise for me.

HTH

cutting42":3r73zgf6 said:
The Camvac, DX5000, WV1000 are all dust extractors with built in filter systems that filter down to 0.5micron which covers all dust types including MDF. They are brush motored (noisier) and can generate high vacuum pressures but relatively low airflow. You can restrict the port size to fit hand power tools, sanders and routers. The twin motor devices also have enough power to use a 4inch port to extract from PT and table saws. A spindle moulder is marginal.

The ADE2200 and similar products typically do not filter down to the same level and are regarded as more chip collectors rather tha dust collectors. Having said that most have the ability to fit a filter but they are pretty pricey (£100. They have massive airflow but low vacuum pressure and this means the port size and piping MUST NOT be reduced from the 4 inch port. Thus you cannot use them with machines with small dust ports.

In a perfect world I would have both, HVLP for the PT, TS and SM and a HPLV for the sanders and routers etc.

I have just purchased a second han DX5000 as it seemed the best compromise for me.

HTH
That explains it, many thanks. As I don't have a spindle moulder I'll stick to the original twin motored Camvac for my set up - Rob

Thanks Gareth for the clarification. Makes a lot of sense.

So may well decide to sell this Camvac twin....

P1060810.JPG

P1060811.JPG

as the mini-cyclone works well for the small bore stuff.

So it seems the consensus of opinion is that the single motor extractors (Camvac, Record or whatever) are not worth having for a permanently plumbed in system ?
As said, I can rearrange things so the p/t would be the first machine in the system and sighted approx 2 meter, 4" pipe length from the extractor with blastgate to isolate it from the rest of the system. Further down the line, about 5-6 meters, I would then have the t/s and router table but I would have to reduce to 2.5" pipe for the last 2 meters due to headroom restrictions. There would also have to be a spur off to the mitre saw just after the p/t, again 2.5" with blastgate.
Any comments regarding this setup ?
Does it sound completely impossible with a single motor extractor ?

Krysstel":38jpv7gv said:
So it seems the consensus of opinion is that the single motor extractors (Camvac, Record or whatever) are not worth having for a permanently plumbed in system ?
As said, I can rearrange things so the p/t would be the first machine in the system and sighted approx 2 meter, 4" pipe length from the extractor with blastgate to isolate it from the rest of the system. Further down the line, about 5-6 meters, I would then have the t/s and router table but I would have to reduce to 2.5" pipe for the last 2 meters due to headroom restrictions. There would also have to be a spur off to the mitre saw just after the p/t, again 2.5" with blastgate.
Any comments regarding this setup ?
Does it sound completely impossible with a single motor extractor ?
It sounds a workable system but the single motor extractor would worry me...I'd suggest that you PM Harbo 'cos I know he had one and experienced the same sort of difficulties - Rob

Krysstel, if you can forego the plumbed in aspect of your system then I still think that the mini-cyclone is a viable alternative for you. I have used mine quite successfully on my planer, thicknesser and table saw. I standardised on a 58mm od hose and doubled its' length. I simply plug the 'live' end into whichever machine I am using. Here are a few pictures although only parts of it can be seen in some of the pictures.

cyclone1.jpg

wshop3.jpg
left of frame

this one shows the vacuum that powers it and the bit of MFC on wheels that the two units sit on.

wshop4.jpg
bottom lh corner

wshop7.jpg

Really.
And I thought it was a matchbox stuck in the snout of a Record RX5000 twin motored extractor !
You live & learn. :D

Michael, it was such a long time ago I can't remember if I got clobbered or not. Lots of times when I get stuff from the US it comes through without duty etc. You should be able to get up to date carriage charges from the manufacturer.

I'm very pleased with mine. The one improvement I'd make would be to make the collection receptacle narrow enough to fit inside a black bin liner for ease of emptying.

Nothing much gets through to the vacuum cleaner.

Roger

Back