Which 12" disc sander ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krysstel

Established Member
Reaction score
They do all look the same, so I'd go for the Axi one because of the first class pre and post sales service

I think they're pretty much the same really, depends what you can get the best deal on regarding shipping. I'd agree with Tom and go for the Axminster version as APTC are always reliable - Rob

Is the Axi better quality wise than any of the others, particulary thhe Record ?

Mark

Another vote for the Hegner, here. :roll: I was fortunate enough to get one for £180 last November. It had a plug missing and the aluminium table looked as if it had been clawed by a rabid cat (I think it was used in a school, previously) but it remains sound and has a lot of good, reliable features. I can only imagine that price is encouraged by the addition of a European (German, IIRC?) motor. Unlike many other models, with origins in the Far East. As I said, the table's aluminium and there's no cast iron anywhere.

At the same time, I also purchased an Axminster disc sander; one which is no longer listed on their site (it would've otherwise been less than £200, I reckon). I eventually sold this one on to Chas (CHJ) having 'accidentally' placed a bid while not expecting to win the Hegner auction... :oops: Anyway. It was a decent, solid, reliable piece of kit. I would've been very happy with that, had I not won the Hegner. It even had a cast iron table and was also very quiet when running.

Thanks for all the replies.
A Hegner it won't be but an Axi it might.
But I still like the look of the Record - nobody got one ?

Mark

Mark,

I don't own a disc sander myself, but a mate of mine has the Axminster one. He is very pleased with it, it's a well built solid and sturdy machine and when it's in use you can hardly hear it because it's got the induction motor.
When I'm ready to buy in the near future it's the machine I'll be going for.

HTH

Steve

I've got an axminster DS12DLMB 300mm Braked Disc Sander
and it's one of the better bits of kit in my shedshop.
Start it up and you get Whmmmmmmmmmmm,,,very quiet.
Sanding discs are self-adhesive, long lasting,(hermes) so long as you regularly us a a disc cleaner.
Mind you, I didn't pay anywhere near what the're asking today..
Scandalous
...(Still...def..Recommended)

John. B

I have the Axi one and I am well pleased with it.

<edit> Damn. I keep going from new posts to reading the old ones and forgeting where I am. Aint dementia wonderful.

A slightly sideways thought was that when I wanted a disk sander I thought that all of those on the market were identical and all at about £125 +p&p so I made my own.

3HP single phase continuous duty motor from an old electric concrete mixer....the motor was like new despite the prior use.....about a half sheet of 18mm birch ply for the motor mount and frame,platen and a small amount of 1/8th inch flexiply to form a surround.

Total cost was £28 inc the metal mounting for the motor shaft to sand paper plate.

Works like a charm and has been in use frequently now for 2.4 yrs.

See woodgears.ca for ideas.

Al

Latest posts

Back