Fox surface Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah! That makes three of us!
I've been looking at this one too :). It seems pretty good - not quite a Jet but better than I've seen from other budget models.

Only thing is, when it comes getting a thicknesser, I think they are all brush motors and not induction so I'm concerned about the noise (living in a built up area).
If anyone knows different I would like to know ;)

Not much help though am I? Sorry :(

Gary

Think i'm going to get the axminster aw106pt around about the end of the year.(Just hope i can get it off the pallet :oops: ).But i can't take my eye's off the fox planer.unfortunately like gary H can't do with the noise off the portable thicknesser!.But if the noise is not a prob. and 6" is enough (did i really say that) :roll: then it look's a good piece of kit.
By the way i don't believe you get the blade guard that's on do you?.

That looks like a great planer for the money.

However, if you are looking at seperate planer and thicknesser I'd go down a different route.

Gary makes a good point about the noise produced by benchtop thicknessers.

I recently retired my trusty DeWalt model and traded up to an old Wadkin thicknesser off ebay for £280. It makes less noise than than my dust extractor! Another £300 got me a superb Wadkin planer from a local dealer. I've got a 3-phase supply, but £200 would get you a phase converter capable of running either machine.

These machines are at least 500% better than any new single phase machines I've ever seen. OK, they may be 30 years old, but they'll last another 30 with ease!

My advice to anyone looking at woodworking machines - sort out a 3-phase supply and look at quality used stuff on ebay or keep your ear to the ground for local joinery workshops closing down.

Old 3phase machines are certainly the way to go if you have the space for them and don't have to move them about.
Unfortunately I don't have that luxury so smaller more mobile machines are the only option.
The noise from the portable thicknesser was also something I was considering, but have not experienced it myself.
6" capacity is it enough ? I don't know so perhaps a combined unit like the metabo is a good bet especially with the induction motor.
It's the conversion between modes that concerns me and if money was no object I would buy a scheppach or a jet which looks easier to switch between modes.

Mike

i've had the fox for about a year now. It took a long time to get it set up properly, (table alignment mainly) but otherwise it is great. Nice and solid. The fence is very flat. The only niggle I have with it is the fence adjustment levers which get in the way of each other. Oh and I find that the dust extraction gets clogged sometimes, but that may be due to my extractor.

For the price though, its excelent... BUY IT!!!

Plus I noticed this from another thread. May be worth a look

Have to admit that I did look at this one at last years show in Harrogate. Looked well made for the price and with cast iron beds it has got to be worth it. I ended up buying a Grizzly one off E-bay for half the price but if it hadn't come up I would have gone for the Fox for sure. :wink:

Ok so if I go down the seperates route what thicknesser do you use and is the noise a problem.
The new metabo one looks ok and the price is good on ebay
Are seperates a big advantage especially if your not going to be using
them that much.

Mike

I have not seen the Metabo one on E-bay but I used to own an Electra Beckum (Same company) planner/thicknesser and it was a good machine. The only reason I decided on seperates was the faffing around you had to do to convert from Planner to thicknesser. I now have the Grizzly 6" planner and an Elu planner/thicknesser which I use solely for thicknessing.

This is also having my attention but has anyone any knowledge of Lyndhurst Woodworking co. at Bristol. I see they do a 6 ich surface planer with a very long bed for only £295. The name means nothing to me. Any comments anybody.
Fred.

Fred Page":21c6j320 said:
This is also having my attention but has anyone any knowledge of Lyndhurst Woodworking co. at Bristol. I see they do a 6 ich surface planer with a very long bed for only £295. The name means nothing to me. Any comments anybody.
Fred.
Fred I've just taken ownership of the 8" it's in this thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=12902

hi Quetech
i've recently aquired an oldish wadkin 12" P/T ,which was in need of a bit of a clean up this is a 3 phase machine, and as Big Dunk says this type of kit is made to a diffent standard(i got this from a machine trader in glasgow area) i thought id throw that in as you are in scotland. so now my 10" E/B P/T is currently in retirement awaiting a new home.
i've wandered of track here , don't discount used machinery ,but make shure that you can get to view kit before parting with your hard eared pennies.

dave w

Back