Fox p/t 568

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plug

Established Member
Reaction score
Not long brought one of the above second hand, I saw it running and it looked a bargin.
Got it home and gave it a bit of a clean up. It ran fine, turned it on for about the third time it would not pick up speed then it stopped. Found out it was a blowen fuse in the plug so I replaced it. switched it on the motor made a noise but would not turn after couple of seconds it blow another fuse.
I have now removed the drive belts from the motor so it has nothing to turn, the motor turns fine buy hand but will not run for more than 3-5 seconds when switched on.
I have gone through about 15 fuses trying to get it to work, all the wiring looks ok.
Can anybody help,
I do not want to take it back as I had to travel some distance to get it.

Thanks Paul.

As i am sure you are aware high current blows fuses so faulty wiring where the current flows to earth or short circuits or if the motor is faulty and as it does run then it looks like the motor is drawing a high current .
I have the 565 and the hand book shows 3 wires to the motor with a no volt release a thermal and switches in circuit you could wire direct to the motor to prove its faulty .One last possibility it might need a 16amp supply if is a heavy current drawer on start up, but my one is fine on 13amp supply. Some one who understands motors may be able to help you more .

No, I think it is an induction motor.
I will try direct wiring it tomorrow.

This machine looks identical to my Axminster AW106PT so, I can confirm it has an induction motor. :)

I've had two NVRs pack up in recent years so bypassing seems logical. But for God's stake stop changing fuses, you could make matters worse!

Roy.

It does not run long enough to get hot, only about 5 seconds.

Does the motor run through a capacitor? On the Fox saw motors there is a capacitor which facilitates the starting from a dead stop, and if this fails it gives much like the symptoms you describe. On the saws it is a white canister roughly 5"X1.5" Dia. mounted external to the motor.
Also, perhaps unrelated but worth mentioning is that the Fox table saws will run on a "good" 13 AMP socket IE: Not one thats a spur from a spur etc and not too far a distance from the consumer unit,but even if the above connection is in order it will still blow fuses often if the power lead to the machine is not best quality, the thinner ones create too much resistance.
Best option is as mentioned earlier, a dedicated 16AMP circuit and commando sockets.

There are two capacitors that are mounted on the exterior of the motor.
I have plugged it into a ring main in the workshop about halfway round none of the other sockets are swithed on and it does not trip the fuses at the main fuse box.

Just put a new chain on mine and noticed that the motor has a clunk when rotated by hand so i think its got a switch in it that brings in a extra winding or capacitor to start but disconnects it when up to speed this switch may not be disconnecting on your motor and drawing extra current just an idea hope it helps.

Back