Fox lathes F46-719

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharris

Reaction score
Just starting to get into turning and am using a Fox F46-719. I would appreciate any contact from other owners / users with their experiences and opinion of Fox lathes. So far the only minus points are the banjo/tool rest and the noise level.

Cheers
Roger

Thats the beastie I've got ....
Dont have too much to say in complaint about the banjo .... but oh yes, the noise !
Sounds like a washing machine full of bricks when its running.

Other than that.. for the money, its everything i expected and more.

8)

Hi, Roger, I've had the F46-719 for just over 12 months,(24-4-09) mostly turning pens, but have done a bit of playing about with a few small bowl type thingies to experiment.

The only excess noise I've experienced was when I forgot to remove the "Knock-out rod" from the headgear after knocking out a mandrel. :oops:

Banjo? yes, it is a bit awkward until you get used to it.

Never had a lathe before so can't compare it to anything else, but the only trouble I've had was the on/off switch stopped working, this happened in May and was replaced free of charge after contacting Poolewood,
I'd lost the original receipt but they sent me a copy of their copy and forwarded the info to Fox on my behalf, (the replacement arrived in about 4 days ).

One thing I'd change,(if I could), would be to fix a hand-wheel to the outboard end of the headstock to help with turning the headstock, instead of grabbing the mandrel.

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I'm having with mine.
pete

One of the members at club has the Fox and the same problem with the banjo, he brought a banjo for a CCL or CCLB from Axminster which fits the Fox and says it improves the lathe greatly.

john

jpt":2cgrsat1 said:
One of the members at club has the Fox and the same problem with the banjo, he brought a banjo for a CCL or CCLB from Axminster which fits the Fox and says it improves the lathe greatly.

john

Blimey - the original MUST have been bad, then....

the banjo is horrible, but I am used to it now :) The noise goes down if you make sure the drive is well lubricated, the grease goes hard and the belt is not held well. When I rang up they said spray wd40 in the drive shaft to loosen the grease and I have had no problems since

:) Thanks to all for your feedback. In the end I got over the banjo/tool rest problem by completely reversing and locking the intermediate arm parallel to the banjo - leaving the tool post to work as it does on every other lathe. Was going to buy one as fitted to other Fox lathes but the price was prohibitive.
I have now got on quickly with turning all manner of pieces without any lathe problems and find myself hankering after something more upmarket. As always, it comes down to money.

Also, I understand that the main UK Fox distributor may have got into difficulties which accounts for a low Fox profile. However,Fox are apparently getting ready to reposition themselves in the UK market place.

Cheers,
Roger

Back