Forum Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice.
I am looking for some simple to use forum software that would operate with upto 100 people.

Any suggestions?

Brian

At the risk of stating the obvious have you tried PHPBB as used on here? It's free and there's tons of bells and whistles you can add such as one for letting folk embed youtube videos which many people really appreciate (hint hint ukworkshop).

Walney Col":2x96zizb said:
At the risk of stating the obvious have you tried PHPBB as used on here? It's free and there's tons of bells and whistles you can add such as one for letting folk embed youtube videos which many people really appreciate (hint hint ukworkshop).

What put me off was all the bells and whistles, being too complex. But on reflection I know PHPBB works so maybe that is the obvious answer.

I'm not getting involved in an embedded video argument; I may need friends with PHPBB knowledge. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brian

finneyb":e2vtz5sz said:
What put me off was all the bells and whistles, being too complex. But on reflection I know PHPBB works so maybe that is the obvious answer.
Brian
I'm not a very experienced website creator, but I managed to implement PHPBB with very little difficulty.

Another advantage is it is well-known to users, who will feel at home with it.

morfa":34fne1nc said:
I really rate discourse:

It looks very comprehensive, especially for mobile devices, but . . . . .

Did I read correctly that hosting costs $200 per month at present (with a $100 per month option in preparation) or $99 for a single cloud installation then $10 per month ?

PHPBB is free!

DonJohnson":yitljgmw said:
finneyb":yitljgmw said:
Brian
I'm not a very experienced website creator, but I managed to implement PHPBB with very little difficulty.

Another advantage is it is well-known to users, who will feel at home with it.

Don,

Who are you hosted by? Tried a trial free one-click hosting last evening (Forumatic.com) and it's fallen over.
Tech support is slow ie no reply this morning but then again it probably worth what I'm paying for it .

Brian

finneyb":2e9ehnje said:
Who are you hosted by? Tried a trial free one-click hosting last evening (Forumatic.com) and it's fallen over.
Tech support is slow ie no reply this morning but then again it probably worth what I'm paying for it .
Brian

I have four websites with Compila, and have had very few problems. Their rates are very reasonable, and you can scale up from a small package as a when you need to do so.

Have a look here; http://www.compila.com/website-hosting.html

Don,

Thanks for the info. I worked out what the problem was - forum URL needs to be in lowercase only. So I stayed with Forumatic.com its free upto 30,000 hits per day and 1 click installation - I don't anticipate a problem with that capacity!!

It looks to be working well, until some users come along wanting embedded video :roll: :roll: :roll:

Brian

I had a suggestion from elsewhere to use Google+ Community.
It is certainly easier to set up and maintain than phpBB and maybe just the thing for smaller groups.

I'm not into Facebook and the layout of Google+ is similar which I don't like, but I am sure will get used to. While I am sure it wouldn't work for the volume of posts on here; it looks promising for a much smaller group with less traffic.

Anyone any comments?

Brian

Google+ might be an option if every one of your prospective users has a Google account or is prepared to join them. That might limit membership compared to a conventional forum.

DonJohnson":xu25iblz said:
morfa":xu25iblz said:
I really rate discourse:

It looks very comprehensive, especially for mobile devices, but . . . . .

Did I read correctly that hosting costs $200 per month at present (with a $100 per month option in preparation) or $99 for a single cloud installation then $10 per month ?

PHPBB is free!

You can install it yourself on your own hosting:

http://blog.discourse.org/2014/04/insta ... 0-minutes/

It costs a lot of money to write decent software, so they're trying to recoup some of that by making the hosting option a bit more prominent on the website and the free option. You don't have to use docker etc, but it's easy to download the source and install it yourself.

Latest posts

Back