Forstner bit recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've read some iffy reviews on the axcaliber forstner bits but they were really what i was looking pay a few different sizes bits, mainly for clearing out recesses before routing them flush with a template.

Has anyone has good experience with other similar priced bits?

How difficult is it to sharpen forstner bits? I have a couple of unbranded bits that I wouldn't mind using if I could get them a bit sharper!

I've a few Draper Expert forstners for cabinet hinges, I got them from amazon for about £5 each. I have to say they're pretty good. I only replaced my 35mm last week and it's done about 20 fitted kitchen's worth of holes.

I use a single cut fine file to sharpen, it's pretty easy.

I bought a set of cheap ones in every size, and then spent more money on the sizes I use most, eg 35mm for kitchens.

I like the FAMAG brand.

siggy_7":1c4md0rr said:
I use the Hilka set that Screwfix sell, I've been very pleased with them.

+1 for the Hilka set (especially compared to an Axminster 50mm own brand one I bought)

Regards

Jim

Which axminster bits have people found to be good?

I'm using one of their own brand bits and out of the packet it won't cut through american maple at all! It even stalls the motor of myF Fobco because it's got absolutely zero cutting power

I used the really cheap axi set and found they all needed sharpening before use. They were the brass coloured set.

Latest posts

Back