Formica

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paisawood":3ehk2tme said:
I couldn't find anyone who sold offcuts, but eventually tracked down a wholesaler in Bristol who sold me a 10 by 4 sheet for £25 plus VAT. Bristol Decorative Surfaces 01179542120. They were listed in Yellow pages under kitchen furniture stores.
Good luck

David
I used to get small pieces of white laminate fairly cheaply in one of the woodyards in Gloucester.
Apart from the fancy coloured ones they sold plain white large enough to cover the old kitchen unit size of 42"x21"
Next time I am there I will have a look upstairs in the shop where they have always kept such things.

So where around Gloucester are you then Dewy?

I was in Severnply on Friday and asked about Formica. They supply the entire pattern range. Priced about £35 an 8 by 4. I also mentioned you couldn't download the price guide from their website. Apparently it's because the 2004/05 guide is being printed and should be available at the end of this month.

BTW Handyman, my kitchen worktop job went a treat - a very satisfied customer. Thanks to all for all the tips on jointing.

cheers

Ike

I'm on the Stroud side of Gloucester by the Quedgeley bypass, which I can see from my back windows. With traffic as it can be I often found it quicker to go to Stonehouse or Stroud than to the City.
I have all the timber yards on the Bristol road to choose between. Those small, cheap sheets of white laminate I used to get from Millington & Ramstead, that I have used since the late 60s. I get most of my timber now from Nicks because they adversised their new shop & put the website on the leaflet. I found a few flaws with the site so rang them to let them know. I had a nice chat with the owner who then gave me a trade discount card when I went in. :D

I have just had a quote for laminate (The stuff kitchen worktops are covered with)

£54.00 for a 10x4 sheet...Rip-off!

In the westcountry try Viking Laminates in Chippenham
http://www.viklam.co.uk/
or Countertops in Bath. Both will supply a wide range of common laminates off the shelf or order in from extensive catalogues. Both do Formica but as my colleague Andy King said in an earlier posting this is just a brand name, and there are plenty of other makes just as good. In my experience £54 for a 10x4 sheet is not a bad price, though it does depend on the quality of the brand - Formica as I remember was very expensive

From where Spud

It is from a little shop called Shearer's in Wick near John O' Groats!

In my experience £54 for a 10x4 sheet is not a bad price, though it does depend on the quality of the brand - Formica as I remember was very expensive

Do you think so? I saw the catalogue and it DID have 'Formica' written on the front cover. There were hundreds of different colours and patterns to choose from. At the moment I was deciding between matt white or gloss white. I have never bought any before so maybe my ignorance gave me the impression it was expensive for what it is.

Does anyone know the best glue to use, for gluing it to MDF or Plywood?

Also do you really have to spend £25 quid on a laminate roller, or is there a cheaper alternative?

Contact adhesive on both pieces and wait til both go tacky (dont stick to your hand)
Be careful when placing them together as its 'contact adhesive' and you wont get a second shot.
Thixotropic (jelly) contact adhesive is availible at higher cost that will allow slight movement before sticking firmly.
You should use a J roller working out from the middle to remove all air bubbles.
Once firmly stuck you can use a laminate trimming bit in a router to trim any overhang.

It shows how long it is since I used to buy standard (then) double worktop size white laminate for 7/6d ;)
I didn't used to use a J roller, just a short length of 2"x1" with the edge slightly rounded over with a file.
All the pieces I made with it pre-decimalisation (1971) are still in daily use

And, once the adhesive is tacky lay a few skinny batons on the substrate and then position the laminate. Slowy pull out the batons and the laminate will gently fall into contact with the substrate. A rounded block is good for expelling air, starting from the centre, outwards.

Rgds

Noel

Anything without the contact adhesive applied can be used while you line the laminate up with the base. Pull out whatever you use without moving it.
I've used a sheet of paper in the past but wouldn't recommend it.
The only paper you have to use might be those £20 in your wallet and you may end up poorer if you remove the outside notes and the laminate sticks before you remove the centre row. :lol: :twisted:

Back