Form, function or price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Sefton":np55w1jb said:
Buy British if you can, you are more than welcome to come and play.

We wouldn't leave you disappointed thats what customer service is all about :)

Sorry we can't offer you LN, we did used to sell some but LN like to the dealership very tight.

Cheers Peter

You surprise me Peter, I thought you sold them.

Graham Orm":36t1f02i said:
Peter Sefton":36t1f02i said:
Buy British if you can, you are more than welcome to come and play.

We wouldn't leave you disappointed thats what customer service is all about :)

Sorry we can't offer you LN, we did used to sell some but LN like to the dealership very tight.

Cheers Peter

You surprise me Peter, I thought you sold them.

Fair comment, or if you want to buy LN try Classic Hand Tools they also sell other brands as many of us do. I did suggest earlier in the post about going to the Midlands show where all the planes can be seen along side each other and judgements can be made for oneself.

I did note the suggestion to get to the show Peter and am still checking this out. I think a hands on approach would help me.

I also appreciate your customer service comment, this is a big part of tool purchase and often missed.

shed9":eyakmfk1 said:
I did note the suggestion to get to the show Peter and am still checking this out. I think a hands on approach would help me.
I hope you make it to the show - and I'd love to hear your impressions of the various plane brands if you do.

Cheers, Vann.

shed9":37ao08g0 said:
I think a hands on approach would help me.
The only dealer I've visited that stocks both brands is Axminster at High Wycombe. I think you're welcome to walk in with a lump of timber and try them out on their work benches.
I'd suggest a call first to check the particular planes you're interested in are in stock, but I'm sure you'll find them helpful without being pushy and that store's environment is probably a far nicer place to evaluate such a big purchase than the bustle of a show.

Other Axminster branches may also have similar facilities eg Nuneaton and may be closer to you, but HW is only a couple of hours from Cardiff, so just an afternoon's trip really.

MIGNAL":s8g5y3zn said:
That's the problem with searching for the 'best plane'. There isn't one. It's all dependent on use.

Absolutely agree. One man's luxury is another man's discomfort. And it isn't just 'best plane' its true for, its the same for any 'best X', even wider than just woodworking tools.

And, given that you are looking for something that not only functions well (as many do), but gives you pleasure in its use, are you in a position to save up a little more and head for the dizzy heights of a Konrad Sauer or Holtey plane? Surely these are the current pinnacle of the plane-makers aesthetic?

For what it's worth, I have a 5 1/2 cocobolo handled Lie Nielsen and find it no more or less capable than a 6 Clifton, but prefer both to the Veritas LAJ. And at that stage, for me, it isn't a performance issue, merely ergonomics.

Cheers,
Adam

Okay, quick update, just ordered No 4.5, 5.5 and 7 Lie Nielsen planes .

I looked at Clifton and came close to buying but to be honest I got a fantastic deal on the Lie Nielsen's, it was too good to pass up. I suspect I will end up with Veritas spoke shaves and a block plane. Many thanks for the input people, will report back on delivery.

shed9":i3xdd6jt said:
From the point of view of supporting your local industry, it's a shame you didn't opt for the Cliftons.

But from a quality perspective, you'll never regret the Lie-Nielsens. Loverly planes (unless you find the A2 irons to be a PITA :mrgreen: ).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":l1gi9gdc said:
shed9":l1gi9gdc said:
From the point of view of supporting your local industry, it's a shame you didn't opt for the Cliftons.

But from a quality perspective, you'll never regret the Nie-Nielsens. Loverly planes (unless you find the A2 irons to be a PITA :mrgreen: ).

Cheers, Vann.

I do support my local industry (I suspect more than most) at most every opportunity, but it doesn't constrain me or pang me to spend more in the process.

I seriously looked at the Clifton's and if I went this route I would have got them from Peter (without doubt) but I have to be honest, I feel the LN's have the edge. This may change over time and I hope it does, but this week I went with another brand.

Graham,

I think that quote applies to a time before Clifton planes existed. Veritas may also not have been available here. It was the lowest point of Stanley quality, i.e. awful!

My current sayings are "no manufacturers chipbreakers are ready to go. Front edges need work."

"Expecting a plane to work without sharpening the blade is like expecting a car to go without petrol."

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David C":1hfy8dju said:
Graham,

I think that quote applies to a time before Clifton planes existed. Veritas may also not have been available here. It was the lowest point of Stanley quality, i.e. awful!

My current sayings are "no manufacturers chipbreakers are ready to go. Front edges need work."

"Expecting a plane to work without sharpening the blade is like expecting a car to go without petrol."

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Thanks David, I'll update my quote list :wink:

Great choice. I have the #5 1/2 and the #7 too. As you probably know, the frogs are interchangeable between the three planes, so you can order one with the 45 degree angle, one with the 50 and one with the 55. I usually keep the 45 in my #7 and the 50 in my 5 1/2.

David C":3vy941ng said:

No expectations on my part that the blade will not need sharpening, that's a given. My requirement of 'out of the box' is more to do with my reluctance to flattening soles and the usual fettling associated with low end tools. I've done that and been there already.

They arrived this week, just got chance to get them out;

planes_zpsis8eshzx.jpg

They are just superb... :D

Gorgeous. Now stop staring and start working![SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

shed9":r9zei82f said:
They arrived this week, just got chance to get them out;

They are just superb... :D

Now you've done it - you can't blame poor work on your tools anymore!

Do I gather a weekend of making shavings lies ahead?

BugBear

Latest posts

Back