"Foreign" Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
This brace and the set of bits have on thing in common: they are both stamped "Foreign" but have no other markings. The brace is not as well finished as say a Stanley but is quite satisfactory as a working tool. On the other hand the bits are utter rubbish - the points are not concentric with the shafts and the metal is very soft. Does anyone know if the Foreign marking was some sort of legal requirement for imported tools and, if so, for what period it applied?

Attachments

• IMG_4719C.jpg
    IMG_4719C.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_4718C.jpg
    IMG_4718C.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 1,060
Wildman":8gtl3idc said:
foreign used to mean made in India

Or Japan... or Germany... (going by tools that I own.) I have never been certain as to whether the word Foreign was just used instead of the names countries which would be distasteful to a British buyer or whether it was required by law.

ajmacleod":3fhgjt6x said:
Wildman":3fhgjt6x said:
foreign used to mean made in India

Or Japan... or Germany... (going by tools that I own.) I have never been certain as to whether the word Foreign was just used instead of the names countries which would be distasteful to a British buyer or whether it was required by law.

+1
I have a set of Draper 1/4inch BA sockets marked "Foreign". But the quality is as good/better than later sets that were marked "Japan".

Bod

I seem to recall reading that it was used on German made products post both world wars when there was hostility to buying German made goods

from the net....

A while ago the question came up "Why would a piece of porcelein have stamped "foreign" on the bottom of it, and nothing else?"
The question was forwarded to the gotheborgList and "Tim" supplied the answer that in 1893 the USA - being a rising power - passed a law that all imported items must be marked by the country of origin having until 1923 for complete marks. In the meantime countries like England and France just marked their pieces with "England" instead of "Made in England", which was required in 1923.

Some less sophisticated countries simply marked their goods "foreign" between 1893 and 1923 meaning it was their export product, going outside their own country.

Personally I can't remember ever having seen a Chinese piece just marked "Foreign". It seems that the first export mark was "CHINA" to be followed by "Made in China" much the same as above. Kindly see the MARKS section for more information on this.

Back