For you Kitchen fitters or those that have done their own...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark.R

Established Member
Reaction score
Concerning self build kitchen carcasses, I have this "thing" about melamine faced chip board. In fact I am not fussed on chipboard in general, though I realise it has its uses.

My point is that I will be starting our scratch build kitchen in the Summer, and I want to construct the carcasses out of melamine faced moisture resistant MDF. For those that have crossed this bridge already or do it for a living, have any of you used this material and if so, where did you get your supply from? If not, then please tell me what your sheet option option was for carcass construction.

Another thing is that I don't want to go through the trouble of painting MRMDF myself as well which is why I want it faced in melamine!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark.r

Melamine faced chipboard has come of age, the coating is thicker, stronger, the chipboard is much denser, better particle bonding, in fact it's a far cry from it's inglorious past.

The colours and textures it comes in nowadays is mind boggling.

OK you've got the impression I like it :D . I prefer it to faced MDF.
Even some of the top end kitchen designers are specifying it again.

I've not seen Melamine faced MR MDF, it tends to be standard grade so will react to water like MFC Which is not really a problem unless you get a major leak or a slow one thats unseen over time.

Are you just going for plain white or a woodgrain? If plain white then laminate (Formica etc) pre covered Ply and MDF are very nice to use as well, the ply having the advantage of being WBP bonded. Downside is it costs around £70 a sheet :(

Jason

Why go through all the hasle of building, painting etc etc,

just buy the carcas from either B&Q (better) or Howdens

Mark , i fit kitchens for a living, and have made a few to order and have to say it is a whole lot easier, and possibly gives better results, if you purchase carcasses from a supplier and do the rest (doors, surfaces and details) yourself.
you should look for the thicker carcasses, i think they are 18mm, as these are better quality. if i knew how to post pics i would show you some of the results that can be achieved with a little effort.
However, if you are set on making your own carcasses then you could consider using a frame to ensure a uniform set of dimensions.
The materials i used in the past for this sort of project were purchased from a local timber yard, although i understand i was fortunate to get them.
Either way, remember it is better to be lucky than good!!

Mark, any of the decent panel suppliers will be able to get a magnolia MF MDF, this is my local one. Not my personal choice for colour though. If you want a bit more choice then have a look at Egger'srange

As has been said it can work out cheaper to buy carcases than the total cost of the separate materials. Have a look on woodfits site, they do several ranges from basic to colour matched with 2mm PVC edging and soft close blum hinges included as well as 18mm backs on the bases (8mm on walls)

I only make up carcases when it something a bit unusual

Jason

If you want to make your own, you have to budget for a good quality, zero clearance saw with a quality blade (triple chip? ). The melamine chips so easily. Then there's all that edging tape to contend with. I agree as said, for MFC - buy the carcases ready machined. Put the effort/time/passion into the fronts.

Ike

I have gone down the road of making my own carcasses and while I admit that it is satisfying to build them yourself, I probably wouldn't do it again. I went for white MFC, which I bought from a timber merchant in Edinburgh for about £22/ 8'x4' sheet. Even with a good quality triple chip saw blade it is almost impossible to get an acceptable edge straight off the saw. I resorted to dressing show edges with a router, either hand held with a straight edge or on the router table, set up for jointing. This works fine and gives a good edge with a fresh router bit but melamine is abrasive stuff and it will dull even TCT tools very quickly. I invested in a replacable tip cutter from Wealdenfor about £40. The replacable blades are £10 but they are reversible (double edged) so effectively £5 for a 1/2" x 50 mm worktop bit once you have made the initial investment.

George_N":2ex1i38u said:
I have gone down the road of making my own carcasses and while I admit that it is satisfying to build them yourself, I probably wouldn't do it again. I went for white MFC, which I bought from a timber merchant in Edinburgh for about £22/ 8'x4' sheet. Even with a good quality triple chip saw blade it is almost impossible to get an acceptable edge straight off the saw. I resorted to dressing show edges with a router, either hand held with a straight edge or on the router table, set up for jointing. This works fine and gives a good edge with a fresh router bit but melamine is abrasive stuff and it will dull even TCT tools very quickly. I invested in a replacable tip cutter from Wealdenfor about £40. The replacable blades are £10 but they are reversible (double edged) so effectively £5 for a 1/2" x 50 mm worktop bit once you have made the initial investment.

Consider the time spent on this all

10 min for an 18mm B&Q carcass vs .......

trust me i've been there done that, and i would never build my own - again

Latest posts

Back