For those that missed it a few weeks ago.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Discovery Real Time Extra are doing another woodworking day.

Smith and Sweetman swimming in glue this morning.

Followed by Workshop that John build where money clearly was not in short supply.

Then Tommy, otherwise know as a chance to have some lunch... :)

Then Anton Fitzpatrick destroys some perfectly decent wood with blunt tools.

I'm off to play golf... Fore.

Enjoy, Jon

Why does no one like tommy, I found that series quite interesting, seeing how to build a timber workshop.

I quite liked Tommy's Ultimate Workshop too - gave me some useful tips. But he is a bit irritating in it unfortunately.
Cheers
Gidon

I find the young guy in Smith and Sweetman annoying. Is he trying to be the Jamie Oliver of the wood world?

I can tell him he has not been successful, like Oliver he is just annoying!

If I had been his tutor I would have given him a clip around the ear a few times. He really get's on my nerves. :evil:

I just watched a couple of 'plussed' Woodworks and, tho it's not a great show, I much prefer it to S&S. I kind of felt sorry for Anton Fitzpatrick, it's like a film crew turned up at his workshop one day. He seems like a nice bloke, but probably should have stuck to boat building.

Ironballs":2vcgdwuj said:
Just seen some of junk to funk where some guy was dismantling a bike, what was the point??

Yes. When we watched it ages ago we used to euphamistically refer to it as 'From scrap to rubbish'.

Misterfish

Watching some of the machinery in action was worth the time spent, I don't own a mortiser and they all seemed to work efficiently on each of the woodwork programs.
I always got the impression they could be a gimmick, and hand made joints if not too many, are just as practical.

Poor old Tommy is going to get hot in his shed, the windows dont open :) .

devonwoody":38cvg8ix said:
Watching some of the machinery in action was worth the time spent, I don't own a mortiser and they all seemed to work efficiently on each of the woodwork programs.
I always got the impression they could be a gimmick, and hand made joints if not too many, are just as practical.

Poor old Tommy is going to get hot in his shed, the windows dont open :) .

A dedicated morticer is one of the best machines in a workshop if you do a lot of morticing. I'm not sure about the cheaper models but the better quality ones i have used have always been excellent, and are a massive time saver.

Hi,

I caught a couple of episodes of Smith and Sweetman today they where making a chest of draws from £900 of solid maple, they glued the draw runners in across the grain of the sides :shock: and screwed the bottom on to the sides, mangling the screwheads up, what a pair of cowboys, has the old guy given up? he should know better. and the young one needs a slap. Even Norm knows more tham that pair, I found my self shouting at the TV :shock:

Pete

Your comments re gluing runners to carcass sides makes sense, but could things be different with glues like PVA, it does have movement in itself ?

Hi,

I should have said he hammered the runners into slots cut in to the sides, they aren't going allow any movement ever.

Pete

Yes I did comment on this last time when I watched the pair of clowns glue the runers in full length of the sides! I just hope the old guy didn't lecture in Woodwork. Seems like such a waste of expensive wood to me.

Back